Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
DesiPerson

KEAS Twin Appeal + BVGS wait list

Post by DesiPerson »

Hello,

I have identical twin DSs.
DS1 has been offered a place at KEAS.
DS2 was not successful at any GS even though he scored 212. He missed entry to BVGS on distance rule. DS2 has been offered local comp school.
I've been advised by BCC that he is 8th on the waiting list for BVGS and 54 for KEAS.
Both DS1 and DS2 are distraught at the prospect of being split up after spending 11 years of their lives together and are in tears all the time.
DS1 and DS2 were neck and neck during the revision for the tests so we as parents felt that they would both achieve the same GS.
DS2 does usually get nervous in exam situations and I guess that is what happened on the day.

I have a feeling that DS2 will eventually be offered a place at BVGS when the wait list movement starts after 16th March.

Because of the distress they are both currently feeling at the prospect of being split up, I would like to appeal to KEAS on these grounds and the fact that DS2 is only 4 points away from the cut off for KEAS.

KenR, do you think:
(a) DS2 stands a good chance of being offered BVGS?
(b) I am likely to succeed at the appeal process on the above grounds plus a supporting letter from the current HT plus evidence that both DS1 and DS2 are both in the Gifted and Talented programme at their current school plus DS1 and DS2 both received glowing reports in Yr5?

Please... any advise would be gratefully received.

Kind regards,

DesiPerson.
KenR

Re: KEAS Twin Appeal + BVGS wait list

Post by KenR »

Hi DesiPerson

For general appeal information and advice it's best to post on the Appeal Forum but please read the information first and state the region, authority and school.

There was a case involving twins last year - see http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=19769

In respect of the chance of BVGS, there may be a very chance but you won't know until you find out not just where he is on the waiting list but also how many offers over PAN they made. Birmingham grammars make offer over the PAN, to allow for those not accepting for various reasons (KES independent offers etc) so even though he is 8th on the waiting list, the list won't kick in until until they receive a number of rejections which brings them back down to the PAN number. You should ask the consortium office for this information

Also remember that he may go down the waiting if there there are late applicants coming into the area from other authorities. May be a reasonable chance but the waiting list won't move for a while until ooffers are accepted.
DesiPerson

Post by DesiPerson »

Please excuse my lack of knowledge but what is PAN?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Admission number

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/abbreviations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
DesiPerson

Post by DesiPerson »

Thanks Etienne.

Please can you take a look at my post here and offer any advice?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=24748" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have read last year's twin case and don't think it applies to me.

I'd be grateful for your input.
DesiPerson

Post by DesiPerson »

I spoke to B'ham admissions and they have informed that they made no offers over and above the PAN for BVGS. What chance does my son have to get into BVGS with a score of 212 and his current position of 11 on the waiting list for BVGS?

Also, we are in a dilemma as to whether to send him to Solihull ind. School (which would require a lot of sacrifices from the family for 5 years) or our local comp which was rated as outstanding by Ofsted in 2006 and the rating was sustained in 2009. I have read the Ofsted report and it reflects how good I felt about the school when I visited it last year on the open day and open evening.

Any advice from other forum members and the respected and experienced moderators would be welcome.

PS. I have to pay a relatively small deposit by Friday 9th March at the latest to secure the Solihull school place followed by a sizable sum for the first term's fees if I don't withdraw the place by 23rd April.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Regards to all,

DesiPerson.
um

Post by um »

There are lots of things to take into account:

1) Which comprehensive is it? If it is Tudor Grange or Arden, and you will really struggle to cope with Solihull fees, do yourself a favour, take the comp option, and provide a tutor if you feel he needs support in any areas after a year or so.

2) What is the journey like to Solihull? Is it further than your local comp?

3) How will it feel having one child in the state system and another in Indie? That one is costing you £13K a year and the other costs nothing? How will twin1 feel about twin 2 having significantly more school holidays than him? How will both twins feel if family finances are severely stretched? Will the parents be stressed and therefore less emotionally available for the children? Children get much more, not less, expensive as they get older.
twinsmom11

Post by twinsmom11 »

We too are in the same position Desiperson. Unfortunately we do not have much choice with our local comp so we are pretty much inclined to go for indie route with our other DS while his twin goes to GS. The points Um said are quite valid but it is our decision at the end of the day with regards to finances, etc. If you have a good local comp, then I suggest you to save the money and use it more effectively in their journey for next 7 years like extra tutions, various clubs, Europe holidays etc. This way you are providing best of both worlds. Solihul indie as some suggested in the past is not worth taking this huge financial bargain.
DesiPerson

Post by DesiPerson »

Thanks to both. Twinsmom11 I'm sorry I don't quite understand your last paragraph. After reading the reports for both schools and having visited them both, I feel there's very little in it.

Um raises some points I'd never considered. Thank you.

I'm feeling torn right now. Like everyone else here, I just don't want to make a decision I later regret.

Anyone know if it's possible to get a place in indie school after September's if DS hates local companies (which is not really that likely a scenario because all his friends will be there from current school!.
KenR

Post by KenR »

The fact that BVGS didn't make any offers over PAN is good news although I must admit to being a bit surprised - the heads normally do that because people on the waiting list like yourself often make other arrangements with independent schools.

See if you can speak to the school and find out what has happened historically - then you may be able to make a better assessment. My gut feeling is that there is probably a good chance - lots of boys from Sutton go to KES so the waiting list may drop quite a bit.

In you situation I would be inclined to hold fire on Solihull for a while - they always normally can find places if required for pupils moving into the area
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now