Walking distance from Chalkwell Station to Westcliff

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
TheBigApple

Walking distance from Chalkwell Station to Westcliff

Post by TheBigApple »

First post but have been lurking for many moons.

Transport for London states that it's 35 mins walk from Chalkwell Station to WHSB. We drove down on Sunday to time the walking distance but due to the rain, we were unable to do the walk but it's almost a mile and seems a long walk for an eleven year old in various weather conditions.

Could anyone confirm DC's timing and feelings on walking from Chalkwell Station to WHSB. Is there any public bus from the station to WHSB.

Thanks
TBA
event1

Re: Walking distance from Chalkwell Station to Westcliff

Post by event1 »

TheBigApple wrote:First post but have been lurking for many moons.

Transport for London states that it's 35 mins walk from Chalkwell Station to WHSB. We drove down on Sunday to time the walking distance but due to the rain, we were unable to do the walk but it's almost a mile and seems a long walk for an eleven year old in various weather conditions.

Could anyone confirm DC's timing and feelings on walking from Chalkwell Station to WHSB. Is there any public bus from the station to WHSB.

Thanks
TBA

please can someone post a reply, as this information is also required by few of us.This forum never lack intelligent people with ideas to share : :)
Thanks
thankgoditsover

Post by thankgoditsover »

hi i come past chalkwell station everyday at 4pm (school run) and there are always streams of whsb walking to the station.

Its quicker to cut through the residential areas from the sch to the station than wait for a bus. xx
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

Google maps indicates it is between 23 and 27 minutes walking speed depending on which route you take. Hopefully someone with real world experience will post.
Chai

Post by Chai »

My daughter goes to Chalkwell station from Westcliff school. It takes around 30 minutes, according to her. But she is always dithering and chatting with her friends.
Blessed

Post by Blessed »

My son does it and it takes him about 15 minutes. I've done it a few times and it takes me 20 minutes but I do tend to cut through the residential areas.

Most of the children do it and just chat as they walk to school so they don't tend to notice that it is a long walk.
TheBigApple

Post by TheBigApple »

Thank you all for your comments.

How frequent is the bus from the station and long does it take to reach WHSB.

Rgds
TBA :)
Blessed

Post by Blessed »

There is not bus from Chalkwell station. You would have to walk to the school from the station.

If you want your DC to get a bus, you'll have to get off at Prittlewell station instead of Chalkwell and to be quite honest, it's not worth it. He might have to wait 10 to 15 minutes for the bus whereas, if he/she gets off at Chalkwell, they'll be walking down with loads of other children and there is safety in numbers.

You can try the journey yourself one morning. Catch the 7:30am c2c train from Upminster station to Shoeburyness and get off at Chalkwell and do the walk to the school. Just follow the Westcliff students. Your DC would be fine. Don't worry.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

[quote="Blessed"]There is not bus from Chalkwell station. You would have to walk to the school from the station.

If you want your DC to get a bus, you'll have to get off at Prittlewell station instead of Chalkwell and to be quite honest, it's not worth it. He might have to wait 10 to 15 minutes for the bus whereas, if he/she gets off at Chalkwell, they'll be walking down with loads of other children and there is safety in numbers.

/quote]

Pardon me for butting in, but Prittlewell is on the Southend Victoria line, not c2c. On c2c the "no walk" route would be to carry on to Southend Central, then get a number 21 or a number 29 bus from the bus station.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
event1

Post by event1 »

I did a test walk from chalk well station to WHSG on Thursday with my daughter. It took us 23 minutes,the challenging part is the up hill starting portion fom the station the rest of the journey wasn't bad. My DD does not seems bothered about the walk which somewhat makes me feel good. We hope to do one more trial walk before the induction days in June.
Last edited by event1 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now