How are your DC after Mar 1?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
wanting4

How are your DC after Mar 1?

Post by wanting4 »

Now the results are sinking in I'm wondering how everyone's DC are? My DD is not due to take test until September but it would be nice to know any successes or disappointments are being dealt with. After all, they are only 10 or 11 - still babies in my eyes :wink:
UmSusu

Re: How are your DC after Mar 1?

Post by UmSusu »

Hi wanting4,

I spent the last 12 months worrying about this very issue with DS1. Fortunately, he got a place at Handsworth Grammar but he had missed out when the KES results came out. He was quite tearful when he found out he didn't get into KES but was soon placated with the right words. They are more resilient than we think. On the other hand, I was a different story :roll:

In the weeks leading up to the results, there was a lot of talk amongst the children at school and in the end only 3 boys in his school got a grammar place. Whilst I don't know what happened in the homes of those who didn't get in as they received results, by the time they left school that afternoon they were already grouping off according to which secondary comp they had been allocated.
UmSusu
wanting4

Post by wanting4 »

Congratulations on the Handsworth Grammar place! Of the three boys I know who went there, they've done really well.
I'm not sure many of DD's friends will take the test except on of the boys in her class.
Alas, I fear I'm already like you UmSusu :lol: Going through periods of stress and determination depending on which way the wind blows! :roll:
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

:D . Well, I am sticking around for the next round of exams too, so I am sure we will get the chance to exchange worries.

My aim is to try and remain calm until at least the summer holidays. I hope that I can get through it with less drama this time but I suspect DS2's 'ants in pants' syndrome is going to be quite tiresome :twisted:

The last group of parents were mainly preparing their boys. Maybe there might be more girl's parents this year? It would be nice to know who else on the forum is preparing for this years exams ...........
UmSusu
poppit

Post by poppit »

My laid back boy was unusually quite emotional when the GS results came in on the 1st March, I think it was the relief it was all over. Very quickly he just quietly smiled and took it all in his stride and started planning lots of play dates.
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Ah I also think the current year 5'ers look like babies! I keep looking at them and wanting to cuddle them all! ( of course, I am fully aware that would be odd behaviour!)

I sobbed after the KES result ( we were 'redirected' in Marma's words!) and was only 'mildly teary' after the KEGS. So, it gets better ;-).

Wishing u lots of luck, feel free to pm me if you would like any specific advice. If this is your first DC going through it, it's a very daunting journey! Fear not though, no matter what happens it REALLY won't be such a big deal as you think it's going to be. As UmSusu mentioned, the children move on so quickly!
lottie78

Post by lottie78 »

Hi all,
It must be a huge relief to all at the end of the 11 plus journey, especially for those with success stories!!
We are just starting ours, you're right the yr 5s look so young, my Ds isn't 10 till end of August I think a lot of growing up will happen in the next 6 months.
I've gained so much information from the posts over the last few months some have calmed me others panicked me, many have made me smile.
I love how calm ( most ) of the dc are and take everything in there stride.
We are fortunate enough to have a relatively good local comp with an excellent gifted/ talented program so Ds is ,although really wants to go to gs, more than happy to go there which does take the pressure off slightly.
It's all a massive learning experience for us as a family, some days better than others.
I'll be continuing to read the posts with interest and dare I say it some with a pinch of salt!!
Good luck all working to September it's going to be a long few months.
Lottie

P.s does anyone know if the exam results can be emailed in October as we will be away and don't want to have to wait till we get back to find out where we stand!!
wanting4

Post by wanting4 »

I'm glad that your offspring seem fairly settled now! Reeyah thanks for your good wishes - I have followed your journey and I hope you get the outcome you want :)
Poppit, good for your dc for planning play dates :lol:
Lottie I would have thought (or hoped!) that the results come before the October holidays seeing as we have to complete the secondary admission forms by the end of October.
I'm hoping to play it quite low key so although I'll be anxious for the results and school choices, I'm hoping that she won't be. Her first choice is KE Handsworth so we won't bother putting KECH on the list - that is, IF she gets the desired results :? We also liked KEHS.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now