Just a thought

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
concerto

Just a thought

Post by concerto »

A lot of the time when parents thinking about KE schools, they have no idea what kind of scores will gain them a place. Obviously each year is different, but really we haven't got a clue what kind of raw scores will equate to what standardised scores.
I have been through this 11+ journey twice and have four sets of test scores. From the Warwickshire exams, I also have two sets of raw scores plus the average RAW SCORES from my son's year. Only if people are willing to post out this kind of information, then maybe parents can form a better idea whether they want to enter their children to the exam or not.
Here in Birmingham, all the KE schools are super selective. I have heard many horrible hearsays, like get numerous tutors, achieving 100 percentage or to go prep school only. My children have done well in their exams but the raw scores were far from the rumours people are hearing.
I thought if I post out these kind of information, at least that will help some DIY parents to ease their pondering when they can't have access to some professional tutors.
But then again I don't think I will do it . As soon as you put the scores out you are scared of offending people.
Just my thought.
anxious_mother

Re: Just a thought

Post by anxious_mother »

Did u get the raw score for KE exam :o .We only got the standardised score and were told that neither the raw score nor the rank will be given out. :roll:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Raw scores have been posted before to illustrate how misguided some of the rumours are, but it needs to be repeated at intervals because the myths are very pernicious and reappear just about every year.

However, I remember, concerto, that your daughter had fabulously high standardised scores in both the Warwickshire and KE exams (and I seem to remember your son got a scholarship to KES last year so I imagine his scores are also fairly spectacular) so I suggest that you post them in a few weeks when there might be less sensitivity on the forum.

Mike
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

I would second what mike has just said and welcome any info you are prepared to share. I remember being quite surprised when I was corrected about the scores required - that is not to say that it is any easier to 'pass' but at least it was not as scary as it first appeared.

I will look out for your post as the more we can share this info to make a relationship between raw scores and standardised scores, the more helpful it is to future parents. Again, I would suggest waiting a week or two until the dust has settled from last week and the anxieties of the next round of parents start kicking in.

It is very kind of you to make such a suggestion :D
UmSusu
KenR

Post by KenR »

I did post to typical scores a few years ago - in the 2006 exam:-

Verbal/English 67/100 (raw marks) standardised to 116 (for a child aged 10.85 on the day of the exam)
Maths 46/82 standardised to 116
Non verbal 52/70 standardised to 116

Nothing like the 90%+ rumoured frequently by some

An average of 116 would get a child into the majority of KE grammars and also KECHB that year (347 was the pass mark)
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Think most new parents can lay the other rumour to rest too! The one where people suggest the child must be getting 90% in Bond papers :shock: I even had my DS tutor say that. I panicked at first ( DS was lucky to gain 60% on the few that he attempted!).

It's all about natural talent and some practice to gain speed and experience. Grammar school children are pretty obvious to spot at schools. It's nearly always the ones top of the class. Most VR/NVR tests clearly show the natural IQ and I'd say are pretty reliable. All the children who passed from DS school scored at least 130 in these tests.

This is not to say that the ones who don't make it are not bright. There are plenty who miss the mark and just can't get a place due to sheer numbers and lack of places.

I'm quoting this from personal experience. I was convinced at the start of this journey that tuition got children the places. I have totally changed my mind. This years exams seemed tutor proof.
anxious_mother

Post by anxious_mother »

KenR,
please may I ask you how you know the raw scores ? We were not given that info. and they said it is not possible to reveal such marks :o . People might say " oh how does it matter,?" but it really does.
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

anxious_mother wrote:KenR,
please may I ask you how you know the raw scores ? We were not given that info. and they said it is not possible to reveal such marks :o . People might say " oh how does it matter,?" but it really does.
Maybe they used to, but not now?? Must admit the Warwichshire scores were good. The information they gave was more thorough.
anxious_mother

Post by anxious_mother »

Thanks Reeyah,
I find it peculiar that, you want information for your own child and they say you can't have it :| . After all the hardwork our DCs have put in I think they have a right to know. :shock:
KenR

Post by KenR »

I asked for the full set of age standardisation tables some years ago for the 2006 exam and they did provide it at the time. I asked under the freedom of information act although they pointed out that the KE Foundation was not covered by the act - however they did provide it on that particular occasion

I did not ask for or get any individual child scores
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now