Grammar School Places

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
CPM1771

Grammar School Places

Post by CPM1771 »

I have just spoken to KEGS, Chelmsford to let them know that DS will not be joining them in September. They mentioned that every year they have a few places where parents do not let them know that they will not be taking up places and were very grateful for the call. Looking through the GS threads it is clear that lots of people are in hopeful positions on wait lists. If you are sitting on a GS place that you are not taking, please can you make sure you decline it and let the school know.
tubby

Re: Grammar School Places

Post by tubby »

Bless you CPM1771
mangomum

Post by mangomum »

CPM1771 wrote:I have just spoken to KEGS, Chelmsford to let them know that DS will not be joining them in September. They mentioned that every year they have a few places where parents do not let them know that they will not be taking up places and were very grateful for the call. Looking through the GS threads it is clear that lots of people are in hopeful positions on wait lists. If you are sitting on a GS place that you are not taking, please can you make sure you decline it and let the school know.
Thanks for starting this thread Tubby - I want to remind those sitting on grammar school offers but not accepting them to put their wishes across to the schools concerned ASAP.

Fingers crossed for all in the queue for waiting list at QE.

I hope those who has been offered a place, but do not want it, makes the effort to reject it so that our DC's that are in the queue can take up the place.

Please please if you know anyone with a QE offer that is sitting on it and does not want it - remind them to decline it. I will post this on the Independent Forum too.

Best of luck to all.

MangoMum
x
MangoMum
sillymum

Post by sillymum »

mangomum wrote:
CPM1771 wrote:I have just spoken to KEGS, Chelmsford to let them know that DS will not be joining them in September. They mentioned that every year they have a few places where parents do not let them know that they will not be taking up places and were very grateful for the call. Looking through the GS threads it is clear that lots of people are in hopeful positions on wait lists. If you are sitting on a GS place that you are not taking, please can you make sure you decline it and let the school know.
Thanks for starting this thread Tubby - I want to remind those sitting on grammar school offers but not accepting them to put their wishes across to the schools concerned ASAP.

Fingers crossed for all in the queue for waiting list at QE.

I hope those who has been offered a place, but do not want it, makes the effort to reject it so that our DC's that are in the queue can take up the place.

Please please if you know anyone with a QE offer that is sitting on it and does not want it - remind them to decline it. I will post this on the Independent Forum too.

Best of luck to all.

MangoMum
x
Well said Mangomum :wink: xx
mummabear

Post by mummabear »

Thank you ever so much for this thread :D

There are a large number of us (we are in West Kent but I am certain in numerous areas) who have children who have qualified for Grammar school and have not been offered a grammar place.

We are all on waiting lists and relying on parents who do not want their grammar places to contact the school so that we can be given places.
Orson

Post by Orson »

Surely one has to accept a place rather than not decline it?!
mummabear

Post by mummabear »

Hi Orson,

sometimes for whatever reason, parents will accept a place at an independent school and a place at a grammar school and will wait to decide which they will actually use. If this is the case and the parent decides to then send their child to the independent school on occasions the parent has not not informed the grammar school and on the first day of term there are missing students and the places could have gone to other students. The parents would have 'not declined it' having previously accepted it as they no longer need it. As the system is not automatic the grammar school has no idea that the parents have accepted a place elsewhere unless the parent tells them.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Well 'for whatever reason', it's pretty rubbish behaviour, isn't it?
And children whose parents are prepared to behave like this might have access to a fantastic education, but the ethics they are growing up with at home must leave something to be desired, IMHO. :(
laretta

Post by laretta »

Amber

Very well put! Couldn't agree more.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Amber wrote:Well 'for whatever reason', it's pretty rubbish behaviour, isn't it?
In our case we were waiting for a particularly torturous and unnecessarily protracted redundancy process to play out after which we then had to wait for the school to make a decision on a bursary so no, I don't think it was "pretty rubbish behaviour".

Mike