11plusmocktests

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

11plusmocktests

Post by Daogroupie »

Does anyone have any feedback on these? I am particularly interested in the English, is it creative writing or just comprehension? Why have they split it up into different boys and girls exams? They seem to think that DAO is a girls grammar according to their lists! Has anyone done these and found them helpful? I am fed up waiting for Sutton Mocks to announce their dates this year and feel we need to have a practice run now. Thanks DG
Curious One

Re: 11plusmocktests

Post by Curious One »

I would recommend this as a first dry run to exam conditions. This was the next mock test we did after Sutton. The english paper was not creative writting just comprehension and Grammar of about only 30 questions in all. The Maths i liked as it was Standard format, the VR questions was ok as well, i think that was Multiple choice. :D

IMHO a good Test to do before hitting full grounds running..
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

That is very helpful Curious one , thank you. Did you pay extra for the get your paper back with comments option? This is for two boys I am tutoring and rather than wait until June for Sutton I think it is time to exoerience exam conditions and get some feedback. DG
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

It depends whether the mock test covers the same format as the actual one, otherwise it may be a negative step.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Hi
I have been trying to find out about mock exams and am a bit confused about which exams the Sutton Mocks are, how you apply for them and what they actually cover? Also are they multiple choice or standard format and are they any good? On the Sutton Grammar wesite I can only find information for the exams from last year? I also found some other ones called Sutton mocks that had in the past been held at Wallington school. Can anyone help?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Both my dd's did the Sutton mocks and there are plenty of threads on them, just do a search on Sutton Mocks. They have not yet announced for this year, they are missing out and do not seem to realise that all the exams are a couple of months earlier this year. I think they will be in June and July as they were last year so great for last minute feedback but no good for how are you getting on now which is what we want. We will be doing the 11plusmock tests ones in April in Finchley and the Suttons whenever they are. Sutton give you a number and then post all the results so you can compare your dc to everyone else. DG
lemondrop

Post by lemondrop »

DG I have sent you a PM about the 11plusmocktests.

For Sutton, keep checking this link, it will show new info when they (eventually) update it.

We did several mocks last year and I have to say none were as well organised, effective or as close to the real experience as the Sutton ones, I can't recommend them enough.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Does anyone have any direct experience of the 11plusmocktests as everything I can find on them is not particularly complimentary?
curlyching

Post by curlyching »

My DS did the Finchley one last summer. It was the only one we did.

We opted not to do VR, as we weren't doing it for any real exams.

The format was different to the real (Latymer) ones, but I had explained that before we went. He understood that it was catering for lots of schools.

My son said it was invaluable, due to sitting in a real hall with no one he knew. Made the real thing less scary apparently (which was the reason for doing it).

We didn't tell him that we would find out his rankings (although we did) but did say we would be getting his papers back, which was a useful thing to do as we were able to see what needed work. Some areas he got wrong I ignored, as he didn't need them for the real tests.

All in all a good use of a day for us which gave him some confidence in Eng and Maths and made him happy he would have standard format for NVR.

It was a convenient time/location for us and if done without expectation of being exactly like the real tests was worthwhile.

Like I said, we didn't do the Sutton one as it wasn't convenient. The main reason to do a mock for us was to see what a big hall of strangers was like more than reading too much into the actual results.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

This is very helpful,thank you. We have signed up for 3rd April in Finchley. We are not expecting too much. I just want to get them in a hall with a timer with other children and a paper they have never seen before. Anything else will be a bonus. I have heard they are a bit disorganised and not so great at NVR. We are really interested in the Maths and the grammar and the comprehension so I hope they can offer us a decent paper and some feedback. We will continue to check on Sutton and will post as soon as they post anything. DG