Where one lives

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Pops

Where one lives

Post by Pops »

Hi,

I am totally new to this and decided to post this as I cannot find the answer on the site.

I live in Pinner and what I'd like is for my daughter to go to WGS.

Does living in Pinner go against her, cos I'd be outside the catchment area?

Someone told me that her total score will be deducted by 20 because we live in Pinner. :?

Hope you can help

Pops :)
hermanmunster

Re: Where on lives

Post by hermanmunster »

Never heard of scores being reduced!

here are the proposed admission criteria for next year:

http://www.watfordgrammarschoolforgirls ... tation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
herty

Re: Where on lives

Post by herty »

No, what i think you mean is that Pinner is in the outer catchment area, where scores to get in are higher than in the inner area - though not usually by as much as 20 points. See the sticky at the top of the page.

My dd is at WGGS and has a number of friends who live in Pinner. :)
dreams

Re: Where one lives

Post by dreams »

We live in Pinner too, if I could change the past I'd move to WD post code, we're renting, it's easier for us. My DD is 17th on the academic waiting list and she has achieved higher score than kids from inner catchment area, no offence they also worked hard to get in to WGSs. I'm sure they all as bright and clever as my DD or even more:) But anyway this "little mistake" will cost us 13000 a year for the next five years at least:) So if you can move closer, do it. It will make your DD life easier also when she starts Y7 (I mean travelling time). And also my DD was qualified for Buckinghamshire grammar, from WD code we could get a place from Dr Challoner's high and I would be more than happy. :lol:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

dreams wrote:And also my DD was qualified for Buckinghamshire grammar, from WD code we could get a place from Dr Challoner's high and I would be more than happy. :lol:
I am sorry to say that it is very unlikely indeed that she will get a place at Challoners. As you can see here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... n-profiles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , the last time the school allocated beyond catchment was in 2008, and this year's allocation was only 6.069 miles within catchment.

She would however be allocated a place at Chesham Grammar School, which was once again "All Offered" and has vacant places for September.
Helpful

Post by Helpful »

Just thought I would add my bit but a WD postcode does not secure a place at watford grammar. If you check a lot of the WD codes are in the outer catchment and yes as there are fewer spaces available to outer catchment the score does not go down as far. I live in Rickmansworth and my daughter is low on academic and music list but really has little chance of getting a place. If you are lucky enough to afford to move you need to be careful about where you move to and it is quite clear in the prospectus from WGG what postcodes are in the inner and outer catchment. The stickys are a very useful tool as they show quite clearly the score differences between the two areas. Also as Sally-Ann said even though I am only 4 miles from Dr Challoners High and my daughter scored a high mark over the 121 score in the bucks test she will not be considered for this school as there are children in the catchment area who scored over 121 and have not secured a place. I think there are a lot of dissappointed families out there.
dreams

Post by dreams »

Sally-Anne wrote:
dreams wrote:And also my DD was qualified for Buckinghamshire grammar, from WD code we could get a place from Dr Challoner's high and I would be more than happy. :lol:
I am sorry to say that it is very unlikely indeed that she will get a place at Challoners. As you can see here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... n-profiles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , the last time the school allocated beyond catchment was in 2008, and this year's allocation was only 6.069 miles within catchment.
Dr Challoner’s HS (Girls) 2011 -IA to 8.447 mls, 2010 -IA to 7.090 mls, 2009 IA to 7.419 mls
WD17 9 - 5.8 miles away from Dr Challoner's school, and also in inner catchment area for WGSG, WD3 3AQ - 6.1 miles away from Dr Challoner's and also inner catchment area for WGSG.
???
dreams

Post by dreams »

Helpful wrote:Just thought I would add my bit but a WD postcode does not secure a place at watford grammar. If you check a lot of the WD codes are in the outer catchment and yes as there are fewer spaces available to outer catchment the score does not go down as far. I live in Rickmansworth and my daughter is low on academic and music list but really has little chance of getting a place. If you are lucky enough to afford to move you need to be careful about where you move to and it is quite clear in the prospectus from WGG what postcodes are in the inner and outer catchment. The stickys are a very useful tool as they show quite clearly the score differences between the two areas. Also as Sally-Ann said even though I am only 4 miles from Dr Challoners High and my daughter scored a high mark over the 121 score in the bucks test she will not be considered for this school as there are children in the catchment area who scored over 121 and have not secured a place. I think there are a lot of dissappointed families out there.
Why if you live only 4 miles away from school????? And school offered places for kids living up to 6 miles away from school? I'm really missing smth :shock: :?:
Helpful

Post by Helpful »

Link to catchment area for Challoners girls grammar, may help.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/assets/conten ... r_2012.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helpful

Post by Helpful »

Sorry just seen your message - if you look at the catchment map we are out of catchment but somebody 6 miles away can be in catchment. I live in a no mans land for schools unless you score top marks for academic music or you want westfield which I admit is working very hard to show it can treat its academic students really well but its still not want I want for my DD. Also I am in WD3 and we are not in the inner catchment for WGG however much I wish I was.

As you probably all have read in WGGS prospectus.

The Rest of the Admission Area comprises postcode sectors (outer)
WD3 1, 4 to 9
WD4 8 and 9
WD5 0
WD6 3
WD7 7 and 8
HA3 6
HA5 1 to 5
HA6 1 to 3
HA7 3 and 4
Last edited by Helpful on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now