Skinners'-specific - is it worth appealing with a 408?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pappy

Skinners'-specific - is it worth appealing with a 408?

Post by pappy »

Hello, apologies for the school-specific question but my son scored 408 in the Kent test (VR 140, NVR 140, Maths 128) and we are wondering whether it's worth the pain of appealing, if anyone has local knowledge or experience. Skinners' admit on score and this year are offering places to scorers of 414 and above. They have places for 115 boys.

Notwithstanding the 100% in VR and NVR, my son's strongest subject is actually maths (100% in SATS, glowing school reports, etc.) and we can't work out what happened. We can only consider it a 'blip'. We are getting the full facts/evidence of his past school work, for the appeal.

I doubt it makes any difference but aside from his academic abilities, he is also a great fit for Skinners' - creative, musical, very hard working, self-motivated, spent 10 months on a round-the-world trip in 2010/11, and is a star rugby player.

All and any help, comments or opinions gratefully received.

Thank you very much.

Pappy
hawkeye

Re: Skinners'-specific - is it worth appealing with a 408?

Post by hawkeye »

Go for it. I'm not convinced that appealing is all that painful really unless you make it so. Approach it like a project. Some data/reference collection to do from your primary school to back up academic suitability (and they have taken that score in the recent past so...) and a few well crafted words as to why that school is the best choice for your son (and you seem to have that taped) - it shouldn't be a life's work in three volumes! Send the form in before the deadline, send the evidence when its called for, show up on the day and see what happens - you may be pleasantly surprised! If you don't you'll never know.
PianoPiano

Post by PianoPiano »

Yes I would. In my DS's intake (current year 8 ) the original cutoff was 410. Several boys got in on appeal on 404 so on 408 you're in with a good chance.

As is said here all the time stress how Skinners' would be the best fit for your boy - they like their rugby and their music and if you have a good academic case for why the maths was an anomaly, then you have nothing to lose!
pappy

Post by pappy »

Thanks very much PianoPiano and hawkeye, for your input and encouraging words. I met with my son's head teacher today and he is fully in support and had some further 'angles' that will help us, so we are going for it. I am struggling to quell feelings of optipism...
Thanks again.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Hi...I don't know if you already have this info but Skinners have already put their expected appeal hearing dates on their website. ......
Tigger