Appeal to Herschel if second choice on CAF?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bettysal

Appeal to Herschel if second choice on CAF?

Post by bettysal »

Please can someone help. My first choice of GS was Herschel but at the 11th hour changed it to Slough GS as I could not find out if he would automatically be considered for Slough GS if he did not achieve a high enough score or was outside the top 70 scores (Slough GS take the top 100). Finally got a call back from Herschel from a very helpful administrator in the afternoon on the last day 31st October. She explained and I said I would change my CAF and withdraw my application from Slough GS. By some stupid error I foolishly messed up when changing the CAF and somehow did not submit the changed form showing Herschel first and Slough second - thought i pressed save and submit - but submitted the unchanged form. Did not realise til after the deadline and when Herschel rang me to confirm I wanted their GS as my first preference I told her what had happened, so had to keep SG as my first preference to match the CAF. Subsequently, and prior to 1st March, I contacted both my LA and Slough council but was told the CAF was final.

DS has been offered a place at Slough but I want to appeal to Herschel for a place. I understand that this was automatically withdrawn once I had been offered a school higher on my CAF form. I have looked at the feeds on here regarding the Slough Consortium appeal process and rung Herschel several times but no one has yet returned my call. Appeal deadline is 16 March, so need to get moving today. I have a letter from my son's teacher - showing predicted level 6 maths, 5a science and reading and 5b writing and english overall. Will dig out his yr5 school report and see if the Head can endorse the teacher's comments.

Advice please -
Can I appeal to Herschel? DS passed the entry score of 111 (he achieved 126)
Herschel was on the CAF - technically have I been refused a place?
Will it affect the offered and accepted place at Slough GS?
Should I explain why Herschel was second on my CAF? The administrator remembers what happened as she called me on 1 November to ask if I still wanted Herschel as my first choice and I explained I had been unable to change the CAF order.
hermanmunster

Re: Appeal to Herschel if second choice on CAF?

Post by hermanmunster »

bettysal wrote: Advice please -
Can I appeal to Herschel? DS passed the entry score of 111 (he achieved 126)
Yes you can appeal - you can also ask to be on the waiting list
Herschel was on the CAF - technically have I been refused a place?
No you were offered a place at a higher placed school on your CAF, you may have been eligible for other schools on the CAF but as you were offered a higher listed place then your application
Will it affect the offered and accepted place at Slough GS?
No you can still go on the WL and appeal - hang on to the other place meantime
Should I explain why Herschel was second on my CAF? The administrator remembers what happened as she called me on 1 November to ask if I still wanted Herschel as my first choice and I explained I had been unable to change the CAF order.
Don't know - but am sure someone else will
bettysal

Post by bettysal »

Thank you. Just heard from Herschel that I cannot appeal nor be placed on their waiting list, only children actually refused a place can go on the waiting list. I will have to make a new CAF application showing them before Slough then DS can go on the waiting list. But, if I do this, will DS lose his place at Slough GS? Does this sound correct? Previous advice on here is that as long as school is on the CAF then I can appeal. So confusing...
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It may be difficult to get through at this busy time of year, but I suggest you contact the ACE helpline.
http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/about-ace/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Forgot to add - you can appeal after the so-called deadline (but the appeal might take place later).
Etienne
chad

Post by chad »

I would have thought you could ask to go on Herschel's waiting list, if you have achieved their criteria.
I would put it in writing and hand deliver it to Herschel. Then ask for any refusal to be put in writing.
Once refused you could then appeal.