Merchant Taylors at 11 from state primary?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
daisyduke

Merchant Taylors at 11 from state primary?

Post by daisyduke »

hello all - my DS would love to apply for Merchant Taylors next Jan, for entry Sept 13 in yr 7. He's v bright, sporty and musical, and his dad went there (does that help at all?!). We have a tutor and are helping him ourselves as well, but I wondered if anyone else out there got their son in at 11 from a state primary, and has any good advice? Or anyone going thro the same process now? Thanks!
dreams

Re: Merchant Taylors at 11 from state primary?

Post by dreams »

daisyduke wrote:hello all - my DS would love to apply for Merchant Taylors next Jan, for entry Sept 13 in yr 7. He's v bright, sporty and musical, and his dad went there (does that help at all?!). We have a tutor and are helping him ourselves as well, but I wondered if anyone else out there got their son in at 11 from a state primary, and has any good advice? Or anyone going thro the same process now? Thanks!
I know one boy who's got 100% scholarship at this school last year. He was at the state primary. I think everything is possible. All independent schools taking children at 11+ stage.
lara228

Post by lara228 »

My DS got a place at MTS this year, although we turned it down and he's going to Habs. It's a fantastic school, we fell in love with it the moment we arrived for the open day. What I particularly liked about its 11+ intake is that they start small - just 3 classes - as their main intake from Northwood prep (and other preps) is at 13. So if you get in at 11+ and come from the state sector, you get a good 2 years to get used to the school before the main cohort arrive.

They were very supportive and positive about boys from the state sector.

My only advice is to work hard, get as advanced as possible in maths and english and be 'natural' at interview. DS had music audition, but you really need to be grade 8 to be in with a chance of a music scholarship.

If we lived closer to the school, that's where DS would be going.

PS regarding 'old boys' - another thing that impressed me is the way that alumni really seem to keep in touch with the school for years and years.
daisyduke

Post by daisyduke »

thanks dreams and Lara, that makes me feel so much better! Well done to that 100% scholarship lad.

Grade 8?!?! And there was me feeling pretty good about DS being grade 5! Won't waste our time on those particular forms then!! :o But hopefully the fact he's an allrounder will be in his favour if he manages to get to interview.

Lara any chance you can remember how many questions & minutes on the VR paper?
magic-mum

Post by magic-mum »

If your DS is musical then DO apply for a music scholarship - I know 2 boys offered music awards at MTS with grades 5 & 6. Music applicants are sometimes given a pre "music scholarship" interview /audition. Visit the school & speak to the director of music to find out the details before you throw any forms away! :)
isx99

Post by isx99 »

My DS was offered a MTS academic scholarship place this year and he is at a state school, so it is possible particularly as they make 170 offers for 50-60 places. So there is a very good chance of an offer.

As regards the scholarship amount - MTS only offer a nominal academic scholarship of £200 in the form of book tokens. This is stated on their website and in their prospectus so I'm not quite sure where the 100% has come from. Perhaps this was a full bursary which they do offer subject to means testing. I'm not sure about the amount for music scholarships and we were advised that they were looking for players of orchestral instruments so the rarer the instrument the better chance you would have.

We also did not take up the offer as my DS was offered a place at another independent school. I agree MTS is a fantastic school with amazing facilities and it is a very kind, welcoming and nurturing environment.
lara228

Post by lara228 »

isx99 wrote:.

As regards the scholarship amount - MTS only offer a nominal academic scholarship of £200 in the form of book tokens. This is stated on their website and in their prospectus so I'm not quite sure where the 100% has come from. Perhaps this was a full bursary which they do offer subject to means testing. I'm not sure about the amount for music scholarships and we were advised that they were looking for players of orchestral instruments so the rarer the instrument the better chance you would have.

Agree, there is a lot of confusion/ignorance about the difference between scholarships and bursaries. Scholarships are open to anyone and everyone, regardless of parental income and in most independent schools (although not all) are just token awards that may carry other benefits. Bursaries are means-tested awards for parents on low incomes and can be up to 100% of fees in certain circumstances.

My DS did have a pre-audition at MTS with the Head of Music and I agree that you have a greater chance in your child plays an instrument that they 'need' in the orchestra - piano/violin/cello will have to be of exceptional standard for an award. The main thing about the school is that they are so approachable - don't dismiss music until you have spoken to them.
dreams

Post by dreams »

lara228 wrote:
isx99 wrote:.

quote]

Agree, there is a lot of confusion/ignorance about the difference between scholarships and bursaries. Scholarships are open to anyone and everyone, regardless of parental income and in most independent schools (although not all) are just token awards that may carry other benefits. Bursaries are means-tested awards for parents on low incomes and can be up to 100% of fees in certain circumstances.

My DS did have a pre-audition at MTS with the Head of Music and I agree that you have a greater chance in your child plays an instrument that they 'need' in the orchestra - piano/violin/cello will have to be of exceptional standard for an award. The main thing about the school is that they are so approachable - don't dismiss music until you have spoken to them.
:? :shock: :? sorry, My DDs teacher told me about one of his student, who's got a 100% scholarship at MTS. I believed :oops:
Dustylaw

Post by Dustylaw »

Dreams, no big deal in that it's not a fundamental difference. Scholarships and bursaries are often used interchangeably - the important point is that the pupil did get 100% support to go to MTS. Generally speaking, the value of scholarships has gone down in order for schools to offer substantial support on a means-tested basis through bursaries. Regarding the original point, it is certainly the case, especially in London, that independent schools have a big or pretty big intake from primary schools. Whether you need to/should tutor or not is a whole other topic but it is advisable to do a bit of exam practice at least because primary schools won't be doing that.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now