Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SPUD

Worth a read......

Post by SPUD »

Sue
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Middle class parents are pushy, but then, the government, and the media encourage parents to get involved as much as possible in their child education. Another recent article from the BBC mentioned that the most important factor in a child school achievement is not the school but the parents social background, probably linked to how 'pushy' they are.

Post by Guest »

Yup, they cant have it both ways!

But its nice to be in a position to choose a tutor or a summer school - unfortunately I (like a lot of hard working parents) wasn't in this position.

I suspect whatever the system there will always be these inequalities, most parents want the best for their kids, whatever their background!
Grumpy Old M...

Post by Grumpy Old M... »

Those of us who have the education and/ or nouse and/ or money to 'play the system' do so because we understand the huge importance of a decent education.
We are only doing what we can for the future of our offspring. No-one else is going to help them, unless of course they can 'tick the right boxes' for New Labour handouts!
When something works you try to make it available to all. You do not destroy all areas of excellence so as to create some sort of egalitarian fantasy world.
Pffft!*

*The polite version....
Karen

Post by Karen »

Grumpy Old M... wrote:Those of us who have the education and/ or nouse and/ or money to 'play the system' do so because we understand the huge importance of a decent education.
We are only doing what we can for the future of our offspring. No-one else is going to help them, unless of course they can 'tick the right boxes' for New Labour handouts!
When something works you try to make it available to all. You do not destroy all areas of excellence so as to create some sort of egalitarian fantasy world.
Pffft!*

*The polite version....
I totally agree.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now