What info can I get from admission authority (VA school)?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
AnnetteCurtain

What info can I get from admission authority (VA school)?

Post by AnnetteCurtain »

Yeah, sorry about the username. The oldies are the best.

School we intend to appeal for scoops up the top scorers from its entrance exam, and that's it. No catchment or other admission category. Would like to think we have grounds for 'near miss' son to appeal due to some huge disruption he had in Yr 5 and start of Yr 6 that put him off course. Got great support from primary (who "thought he'd get in"), strong academic reports / SATS (L3 in Yr 2, L5 in early Yr 5) / recent CATS (125/120/141.)

Problem is, I know he would have done better in exam if he'd been his usual self, but the school don't give out the score of the last child admitted. So even though he was 'headcount' close, I don't know whether - even had he been on top form - he would have leapfrogged into a place.

Teacher suggested I write to the school (its VA, so is its own admission authority I understand) to ask them for the data, but I'm struggling to piece together all that I need.

As well as numbers on roll to show they could squeeze another one in, all I can think of is raw scores / standardised scores (Sep baby, so I'd like to see effect that age weighting had) and lowest paper score across children offered place.

Am I missing anything?? Sorry, brain is muddled - got a day job to do as well!!

Thanks in advance for any assistance. This forum is simply brilliant.
hermanmunster

Re: What info can I get from admission authority (VA school)

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi AnnetteCurtain - love the name, no Lucy Lastic I hope?

Which school is this ? someone may be able to tell us if they know the scores of kids who have got in.
AnnetteCurtain

Post by AnnetteCurtain »

Shall PM you, as it will 'out' me I fear. I understand there are only a handful of appeals to this school each year, and I'm a little paranoid that they'll be forum-watching.
AnnetteCurtain

Post by AnnetteCurtain »

Thanks for PM hermunmunster.

I've been through the FAQs, got our evidence, spoke to current head etc - but what I'm lacking is that link to how far off score-wise he was. Even if I could succesfully argue he would have got say 3% higher, if he missed last child by 4% that's a bit pointless.

I'd be interested to know what people have asked schools/admission authorities for, what they have to provide, what they might provide and what they definately won't provide.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

I appreciate you don't want to 'divulge' the school so don't know if this is useful or not? If in Kent see here:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 19&t=25133

The LA can tell you what your DC raw scores were. HTH
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

You could request (1) information specifically relating to your own child quoting the Data Protection Act, and (2) other factual information (e.g. class sizes, lowest score getting a place) quoting the Freedom of Information Act. If necessary we can help with the wording of an appropriate letter - but I hope it doesn't come to that, because your starting point should just be a polite request referring to the Code of Practice which states:
2.8 Admission authorities must comply with reasonable requests from parents for information which they need to help them prepare their case for appeal.
Etienne
AnnetteCurtain

Post by AnnetteCurtain »

Thanks T12ACY - not Kent but potentially useful nonetheless.

Etienne - thanks also, and yes I shall be politeness personified.