Looking for schools with no catchment areas with Sept exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Looking for schools with no catchment areas with Sept exams

Post by Daogroupie »

Anyone suggest any local schools with no catchment area that are holding September exams? Thanks DG
Reading Mum

Re: Looking for schools with no catchment areas with Sept ex

Post by Reading Mum »

I think most, if not all, Berks GS now have either designated area or over subscription criteria based on distance (or faith) which amount to the same
dlb

Post by dlb »

Tiffin Boys/Girls in Kingston have no catchment at all.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
chad

Post by chad »

The Slough consortium will be holding their exam (for applicants not attending a Slough primary) on Saturday 22 September 2012.

Langley only takes from the following postcodes

Applicants with a permanent home address [See notes (a) and (b) below]
within the school’s Admission Area which comprises the following postcode
sectors;

SL0 - 9
TW3 - 5, TW7, TW13 -15, TW18 - 20
UB1 - 10
W5, W7, W13
HA0 - 5
RG12, RG42

Slough grammar takes 100 pupils based just on score (after 'looked after', SEN & children of teachers) then allocates the remainder on achievement of score of 111 and distance up to the admission number of 145

Herschel takes 70 based on score ( after 'looked after' & SEN) then allocates the remainder on achievement of a score of 111 and distance up to an admission number of 145

St Bernards is a faith school and although it has no catchment it has a very different oversubscription policy please see their admissions policy.
http://www.st-bernards.slough.sch.uk/wp ... 13-_2_.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Sounds good. Just one week before QE, that will do nicely! So can anyone apply to Slough grammar and what is the format of the exam. DG
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

So you're just hunting around looking for practice?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Looking for help wrote:So you're just hunting around looking for practice?
Exactly. And she is open about it too.

Daogroupie wrote:When I returned to the education system, both as a parent and a candidate, the biggest change from when I was at school was the access to past papers, practise papers, mark schemes and mocks. It became very clear to me that technique was every bit as important as knowledge and certainly more important than ability. Bonds are very portable and great for making the most of some available time but I would put my store in a huge range of practise papers and as many mocks as you can find. I have got my Y5 candidates signed up for 11plusmocktests next month with the get your paper back with feedback option so we can see what areas we need to focus on. This year I would research any school that is running exams before the QE exam that does not have a catchment area and I would sign up for them.[/color] DG

Some good advice there too.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
Looking for help

I sympathise entirely about the lack of past papers etc, but my sympathies lie more with the children taking the test and wanting a place at the school who may have to wait and wait after March 1st for news of a place due to others using it as a mock and scoring more highly and therefore getting a place.

I'm not sure that this practice wouldn't backfire - what if your child got Langley as their offer on March 1st ? Is it easy to change to the school that was your actual 1st choice?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Looking for help wrote:I sympathise entirely about the lack of past papers etc, but my sympathies lie more with the children taking the test and wanting a place at the school who may have to wait and wait after March 1st for news of a place due to others using it as a mock and scoring more highly and therefore getting a place.

I'm not sure that this practice wouldn't backfire - what if your child got Langley as their offer on March 1st ? Is it easy to change to the school that was your actual 1st choice?
Presumably though if the exam is being used as a mock then it won't be on the CAF and there won't be an offer of a place on March 1st and no one else will miss out.
Looking for help

Ok, I suppose, well each to their own, I guess.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now