NVR Lesson plan

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MumLincs

NVR Lesson plan

Post by MumLincs »

patricia wrote:Dear Lulu

Take a look at the following link.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =12&t=4782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good Luck with your preparation!

patricia
Hi Patricia - I have found the above link extremely useful and have shamelessly copied all your lesson plans. I have just started out home tutoring my 9yr old in preparation for this years VR & NVR exams in the Lincolnshire area. The VR lesson plan was a godsend!! Thank you :) . But now, does anyone know of a similar NVR lesson plan that I can use?
svg123

Re: NVR Lesson plan

Post by svg123 »

We used AE Tuitions VR & NVR books and found them really useful.
Pls check for yourself in any leading book stores.

Good luck
copella

Post by copella »

Agree the ae tuition books were very helpful continued to use them when stuck on certIn areas. When we finished these we then went through a variety of papers. He initially struggled thinking NVR because it is visual would be easy but his scores gradually improved as time went on.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

My DD is really not enjoying the AE Tuition books. They seem very laboured and slow compared to the materials we are looking at for VR. There seems to be so much emphasis on remembering whether a shape is called a helmet or a loaf of bread rather than getting on to the sort of questions there will be in the exam. Do they get better if we persevere? There seems to be so much less around for NVR. DD is very keen on Maths so I thought she would prefer NVR to VR but it's not proving to be the case and I worry that it is the materials we are using
pist

Post by pist »

Reading Mum wrote:My DD is really not enjoying the AE Tuition books. They seem very laboured and slow compared to the materials we are looking at for VR. There seems to be so much emphasis on remembering whether a shape is called a helmet or a loaf of bread rather than getting on to the sort of questions there will be in the exam. Do they get better if we persevere? There seems to be so much less around for NVR. DD is very keen on Maths so I thought she would prefer NVR to VR but it's not proving to be the case and I worry that it is the materials we are using
Try her on some papers and see how it goes. She may "get" the VR naturally and not need to start all the way from the beginning. If ths is the case using the AE books might feel like starting teaching the alphabet from scratch to a child who is already reading Harry Potter. If you need a method book, Bond do one too, maybe somebody here has tried it and can give a review.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Thanks - I think we will give a paper a go
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Reading Mum wrote:My DD is really not enjoying the AE Tuition books. They seem very laboured and slow compared to the materials we are looking at for VR. There seems to be so much emphasis on remembering whether a shape is called a helmet or a loaf of bread
We skimmed through that, the names aren't important just the ability to recognise the same shape if it has been rotated, reflected, etc, etc.

Book 2 is more fun as it explains the question types. Useful for focusing on problems.

Have a look at some easy short papers, Bond 10 minute tests, this week we went back to Athey first papers to focus on "basics"!
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

We have some 10 min tests so will try those and take a look at book 2. Fundamentally she does 'get' it so it's more prompting her in what to look for
cocoa0101

Post by cocoa0101 »

The Learning Together non verbal books 1 and 2 could be a useful starting point for you, followed by the AFN. I use them a lot and by the time we have finished the AFN we are ready to tackle the GL papers.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

pist wrote:
Reading Mum wrote:My DD is really not enjoying the AE Tuition books. They seem very laboured and slow compared to the materials we are looking at for VR. There seems to be so much emphasis on remembering whether a shape is called a helmet or a loaf of bread rather than getting on to the sort of questions there will be in the exam. Do they get better if we persevere? There seems to be so much less around for NVR. DD is very keen on Maths so I thought she would prefer NVR to VR but it's not proving to be the case and I worry that it is the materials we are using
Try her on some papers and see how it goes. She may "get" the VR naturally and not need to start all the way from the beginning. If ths is the case using the AE books might feel like starting teaching the alphabet from scratch to a child who is already reading Harry Potter. If you need a method book, Bond do one too, maybe somebody here has tried it and can give a review.
Thanks for everyone's input. We did a bond 30 min test at the weekend from the 10-11 assessments book and that did indeed show I had been trying to teach the alphabet to a Harry Potter reader. It really boosted her confidence so I will make sure we don't lose that momentum now and will stick to the tests (with a bit of book 2 if there are types she struggles with).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now