Abolition of writing tests in 2013 (KS2)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ok1

Abolition of writing tests in 2013 (KS2)

Post by ok1 »

On the topic of preparing for exams, some future concerns re schools and writing skills.

Some of you may already be aware, but the SATs writing element is due to be scrapped in 2013, to be replaced with a teacher assessment with emphasis on spelling, vocab and punctuation instead. As any new tests need to be trialled, 2012 will see the trial rollout.

Putting aside all political debates – my concern is if writing skills fall outside of external assessment, and playing devils advocate here – does this create a risk by potentially reducing the focus on writing skills and thus placing greater onus on parents to develop these skills, if of course, writing forms part of the 11+ test that they may be sitting.

May be someone better qualified can clarify and hopefully quash my concerns.

Thanks

ok1
Turtlegirl

Re: Abolition of writing tests in 2013 (KS2)

Post by Turtlegirl »

My daughter was just telling me something about this - she says that her SAT will not involve writing but she has to write an assessment every week. She was glad because she says this will mean if she is weaker in one genre, she can still do well if she writes well for others. I will check with her teacher tonight!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The teacher assessed level for writing will be moderated just as in KS1 and the final level will reflect both reading and writing.

This year schools have the option to mark the KS2 writing tests themselves or externally.

I understand some elements of writing will be assessed from 2013 - just not the creative writing.
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Have confirmed that their writing is to be teacher assessed this year - they are building up a portfolio of evidence now!
ok1

Post by ok1 »

Thanks Turtlegirl and Guest55, will also do some further investigation on the weekend. I personally know of 6 DC in the 11+ pipeline, so would be good to understand the potential implications, if any, of this change.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Some information about it on here.

Re: teacher assessment- this is a good read.

Re: implications- it is tricky. On the one hand, freeing teachers from the SAT workload suggests more time will be spent on developing more relevant learning & teaching (writing) activities for children. On the other hand, there are issues of accountability (of performance) and reliability of teacher assessment data.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The KS2 writing test has been ineffective for years - the marking has been formulaic and often wrong. 'Guessing the genre' has been an annual feature of the TES forum ...

I am a bit sceptical about the 'new' writing test until we see them - they could be focused on spelling and grammar and drive out creativity or marginalise it.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

if you read back through past sats papers you will see the different genres the children have to attempt. The most famous example being a radio advert for a toy. The children had to think of a toy, what its main features were and who it was aimed at and then write a radio advert. A teacher at a school for profoundly deaf children kicked up a fuss about it. There is no choice either. When I sat my 11+ back in the mists of time we had a few titles to choose from.

I am not sure all adults would be able to include 5 types of punctuation( minimum) adverbial phrases and complex sentences in a radio advert for a toy which they had to imagine. The standard expected of 10 and eleven year olds is high.
anxious_mother

Post by anxious_mother »

I am not sure all adults would be able to include 5 types of punctuation( minimum) adverbial phrases and complex sentences in a radio advert for a toy which they had to imagine. The standard expected of 10 and eleven year olds is high.

Yoyo,
I sometimes wonder when standards are so high for SATS is it not the teacher who has to train them from the beginning ? :shock: They say parents have to do it :o . the teacher's remarks are more effective on the child because if the child does not pay attention to it and the teacher questions the child in front of the whole class as to why he did not then I am confident that some of the children if not all will try to do their best so as to avoid any sort of embarrassment.
I maybe wrong but this is how I feel
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now