Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
janet71

Clarification on GL/letts papers pls

Post by janet71 »

Am I right when I saying
LETTS verbal reasoning ISBN 9781844192489 (Giraffe on the front) Pack 11A-D
is the same as GL Verbal reasoning ISBN 978-0708719879 pack 1 tests 1-4?

So is GL verbal reasoning ISBN 978-0708720493 pack 2 tests 5-8 a different pack? And is it worth getting? My DS is working through Bonds, CGS, IPS but I feel the Letts/GL are more difficult in comparison but it is the NFER (now GL) who are setting the exams

Getting a little confused and dont want to duplicate - thanks

thanks
vasu

Re: Clarification on GL/letts papers pls

Post by vasu »

GL assessment pack 2 is different and harder. Lett A-D and GL pack 1-4 is the same.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
svg123

Post by svg123 »

You can also look for Bright Sparks and Walsh VR papers. They are more challenging types.

Bright Sparks 11 Plus Verbal Reasoning Multiple Choice Practice Test Paper Pack 1 By Susan Daughtrey
Bright Sparks 11 Plus Verbal Reasoning Multiple Choice Practice Test Paper Pack 2 By Susan Daughtrey
Walsh Verbal Reasoning 1 Papers 1-4 (Multiple Choice Format)
Walsh Verbal Reasoning 1 Papers 5-8 (Multiple Choice Format)
Walsh Verbal Reasoning 1 Papers 9-12 (Multiple Choice Format)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

janet71 wrote:LETTS verbal reasoning ISBN 9781844192489 (Giraffe on the front) Pack 11A-D is the same as GL Verbal reasoning ISBN 978-0708719879 pack 1 tests 1-4?
No, they are not - they are completely different papers.

When GL and Letts parted company Letts retained the rights to the animal covers and GL got the papers!
So is GL verbal reasoning ISBN 978-0708720493 pack 2 tests 5-8 a different pack? And is it worth getting?
Yes, because they are 80 questions (pack one is 85) and they contain the additional 6 question types known as HIKNOS.
My DS is working through Bonds, CGS, IPS but I feel the Letts/GL are more difficult in comparison but it is the NFER (now GL) who are setting the exams
If it is a GL VR paper then Bond are not relevant. I haven't seen the CGP books, but I believe they are also not directly comparable with GL types.
janet71

Post by janet71 »

Thanks - My DS has found the bond 11+ v easy but I think it was a good starter for him to get going with and boost his confidence - I moved onto CGS which are a little more challenging but the letts/GL pack 1 seemed much more difficult and my DS felt a little deflated (hes a bit of a defeatist) so gone back a step and moved onto IPS and finishing off the CGP (sorry not CGS) and in the mean time Ive gone through the Letts paper and written down the vocab words for him to learn along with many many other words (I printed off the list of words recommended to learn for 11+ on this forum about 4 pages) so when he revisits the papers he will be far more confident in word meanings etc. He is fine with the methods of many of the question types and does brilliantly at some but its his vocab which lets him down but we are working onthat everyday learning words and similar words and hes getting there - Ill get the pack 2 for later on many thanks.....
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

janet71 wrote:in the mean time I've gone through the Letts paper and written down the vocab words for him to learn along with many many other words (I printed off the list of words recommended to learn for 11+ on this forum about 4 pages) so when he revisits the papers he will be far more confident in word meanings etc.
That is a good idea
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

When mine had a mental block and was convinced that English was no longer his first language (his only language!), I cheated slightly and included quite a few of the words in the next test he was going to do in our revision for a few days before. He was gratifyingly inspired by this and worked much harder on his vocab when he saw how his work over the previous few days had been rewarded. From then on, I always made sure that at least two of the vocab questions had words in that we had discussed. So it slightly skewed the results of each of the papers, but meant he attacked his vocab revision with much greater gusto.

We also found 5-8 were a bit harder than 1-4.
janet71

Post by janet71 »

Thanks

I sometimes worry as I think Im pretty good at english vocab but even I had to get the dictionary out on a few which is a bit of a worry :? advertising removed by a moderator

I too look ahead in what Im going to give him and get those words in first - It just helps with confidence and like you said gives them a boost and feel glad theyve learnt them. My DS says he keeps seeing and hearing the words we have learnt that week and now knows what they mean - he seems to think its coincidence but Ive tried to tell him that he is now understanding them rather then just ignoring it.

We have been at this now for about a month (first 2 weeks were a battle and retaliation from him but hes realised the benefits now so hes getting on with it) and Ive seen a big difference he knows about 100+ more new words and hopefully by Sept that with be 400-500 more new words but you never know whats going to appear and you can only hope the ones that do are covered.....Its frustrating as I would love to get my hands on a real past 11+ exam and see how he does now.....
Orson

Post by Orson »

Just tackle GL 5-8 then.
janet71

Post by janet71 »

Orson wrote:Just tackle GL 5-8 then.
Cheers - Ill leave them til later in the summer and hope by then he has gained enough vocab knowledege to not be too put off