what grammars can my DD get into!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

gertrude

what grammars can my DD get into!

Post by gertrude »

Hi,
we live in Maidenhead, does anyone know what grammar schools are open to us,with a realistic chance of getting our DD in. Is John Hampden,Burnham grammar or Sir William Bolaise realistic as all three are in Buckinghamshire,although we are only 7 miles from Burnham grammar.I am new to all this,so does county matter or mere miles from school.Any help would be much appreciated as I am completely bewildered by it all.

Thanks
scary mum

Re: what grammars can my DD get into!

Post by scary mum »

I would be suprised if your DD didn't get into Burnham (assuming she qualifies!), but I don't know about the others. Have you seen the allocation profiles for the last few years? When I'm not on my phone I'll see if I can find the link, or someone else might post it before then.
scary mum
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

I know someone who got into JHGS last year from Maidenhead. Same for BGS.
I don't believe that you will get into SWB as their distance from school is only about 3 miles.
Don't think your DD will get into JHGS as it is boys only!
Last edited by faitaccompli on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LALady

Post by LALady »

Lots of boys got in from Maidenhead to JHGS last year (us parents even had to organise a new bus for the Maidenhead area). We are in catchment for SWB (live in Cookham) but decided to put JHGS as our first choice and did get it as the catchment went quite wide.

As for girls, my DD takes it next year and from this area we will consider Wycombe High (although the catchment doesn't come out very far at all), SWB (again in catchment for it) and a lot of girls who pass from Maidenhead go to Beaconsfield High (again there are private buses from the Maidenhead area). Burnham Grammar is also a popular choice for Maidenhead parents.
gertrude

Post by gertrude »

Hi,
thank you so much for all the advice,it has really helped, as we are new to Maidenhead and I really did not have a clue about catchments,I always thought if in Berkshire then Buckinghamshire schools were considered out of catchment.Also, in my rush to get information,I confused my DS with my younger DD!! it is in fact my son who will be sitting the 11 plus in September.

Can anyone let me know what JHGS and BGS are like? all views welcome.

Many thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Check out transport options first.

Then look at websites and visit both schools.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

They are quite different schools. Do you want single gender or mixed? The only answer really is to visit and form your own opinion - you will be looking for different things to other people.
scary mum
LALady

Post by LALady »

Three private coaches go from the Maidenhead area to JHGS and back (all organised by parents).

Agree with the other posters - go and see the schools. That's the only way you will know which one is best for your son.

We are very happy with JH and couldn't recommend it enough but it's ideally suited for our son.
gertrude

Post by gertrude »

Thanks so much for the advice,sorry it took so long for this reply,I could not access the site for some reason.

I know i'm asking more and more questions,but could someone let me know whether bucks uses standard format or multiple choice verbal reasoning in the tests.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Multiple choice.