English grammar book for me

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mumsonia

English grammar book for me

Post by mumsonia »

English is my second language and in some way my kid's first language. I started to do some english exerices with my kid and realised I need more work on grammar side than I thought :(

So please suggest me a book which I can use to build up my knowledge. I am not planning to use it for the kid.
zvrk

Re: English grammar book for me

Post by zvrk »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Grammar ... 852&sr=8-2

when I was studying English (as a foreign anguage) this book was very useful :D
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-First-Aid-E ... 0340882875" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This one is a must.My sons tutor advised us to get a copy and I have hung onto it!!! Its been around for years apparently.
mumsonia

Post by mumsonia »

Thanks for suggestions. I am ok for day to day use of english. I will also give example of places where I struggle.

Jack looked at the deep blue sea.

In this sentence I can't decide if

deep blue is one adjective
deep and blue are both adjectives so two adjectives
deep is adverb blue is adjective

Any online resource would also be useful. I looked at bbc site but that looked for professional english help than what one would need to know to teach a primary school child.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Hi mumsonia

I did some English as a second language teaching a few years ago and used a book called Essential Grammar in Use by Raymond Murphy which was good. It can be used for self study.

To answer your question above, deep and blue are both adjectives as they are describing the sea.

Bondgirl :)
mumsonia

Post by mumsonia »

Thank you for your recommondations. Went to the bookshop and both the books looked excellent. will be ordering soon. And thanks for clarifying adjectives question :)
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

You're very welcome :D Feel free to ask any other questions (although I have to say, your english seems to be a very high standard already). I can't imagine trying to prepare my DC for 11+ in another language. It's hard enough as a native english speaker :shock:
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now