Sorry - hoping for reassurance...

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Humbug

Sorry - hoping for reassurance...

Post by Humbug »

Some of you will remember that I was absolutely thrilled recently when my DD got offered a place at one of the Consortium schools from the waiting list.

I suppose it was inevitable, but my euphoria fairly soon gave way to anxiety that perhaps being on the waiting list initially means she is not quite up to scratch for the school and might struggle a bit when she gets there. I've tried to talk myself out of this fairly successfully. Obviously I haven't said anything about it to DD, but now she has independently said to me that she's worried she won't be able to keep up.

Can anyone reassure me? It's a tough school to get into but lots of people have told me it's not too pressured once you're there. I'd hate to think I was putting my DD into an environment she's not up to. Would really appreciate any reassurance you can offer!

Thanks.
loveyouradvice

Re: Sorry - hoping for reassurance...

Post by loveyouradvice »

`talk to them.... I think its highly unlikely they'll have offered her a place if they dont think shell thrive..... friends have rung schools and sought real feedback on their child's performance, its worth it. Good luck... and which school is it??
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

If your dd is bright enough to get a place, even through the waiting list she will be just fine.The exam papers are tricky for 10/101 year olds and the schools that set the papers know that. A difference of just four marks can result in ranks differing by the thirties!It doesn't mean she is any less "good".

I think you should focus on building your dd's self confidence & self esteem this summer- which will impact her overall attainment. If she still feels worried perhaps browse though some revison guides?
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

My son got to a good school from a waiting list, and is not struggling. All a waiting list means is that they have too many suitable applicants for the number of places available. They wouldn't have put her on the waiting list if they didn't think she was able and suitable. We've all had those 'will s/he cope at senior school' worries.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

You musnt worry about the waiting list. DS is on a waiting list and when I spoke to the school they said the children on the waiting lists have done really well and will cope at the school it's just there was another child that was either academically better, or offered more sport or had a sibling. In another year they would have been offered a place.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

They would not have offered you a place if they did not think she was capable of thriving at the school. They are not going to let you muck up their league tables place! If you are worried then make a start on the KS3 syllabus so she will hit the ground running when she gets there. DG
Amber

Post by Amber »

The number of marks between the very highest scorer and the near misses will be tiny. It could come down to a tiny slip up on the day. I know this because of the way marks are dealt out at our state superselectives here in Gloucestershire..literally one question often separating clear pass with borderline fail, but standardised in such a way that the gap feels bigger.

And fear not...as someone posted on here before, there is no correlation between GCSE scores and the mark which gets you in. Many, many other factors come into play - personality, application, social life. Don't even think about it. Your child is in. End of. She is going to be just fine. :D
cinnamon

Post by cinnamon »

Humbug, I particularly remember your posts because my 13-year-old goes to the school in question. Please don't worry about your daughter and try not to convey any anxiety to her about not being up to standard. Apart from the exam, the interview and previous school's report will have been major factors in the decision to offer her a place and decide her suitability. As pheasantchick says, it really is a matter of numbers - too many suitable candidates for the places available - but clearly your daughter must have been close to the top of the waiting list. There will be no practical difference between her and the girls who received initial offers and your daughter deserves her place just as much as they do.

My daughter knows quite a few girls who got places via the waiting list and they certainly don't stand out because they're struggling with work. In fact, I was amazed to learn that a couple of the really high achievers in her class (I'm sure you know the type: Grade 8 in several instruments/maths genius/multi-lingual) got in via the waiting list.

I do hope you can reassure your daughter that all will be well (and tell her to look out for the strange, but friendly, girls who'll be in the Lower Fifth in September!).

Good luck.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

You should bear in mind that there will be kids who got offers who aren't as capable as your child as they were coached to death!
pist

Post by pist »

I'll second all of the above. Remember your daughter would not have been on the waitinglist, if she wasn't considered suitable for the school. Children not considered suitable, will not have been offered a place on the waitinglist.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now