Oversubscription Appeal Advice

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Hope&Faith

Post by Hope&Faith »

During the process of applying to a Grammar School for my son it appears the criteria had been changed (background information is available in the appeals mailbox for information for moderators) would this be deemed as reasonable ground for appeal?
Etienne

Re: Appeal Advice

Post by Etienne »

It appears the information being given out was not up to date, and this is clearly unsatisfactory.

However, maladministration in this context would mean that the authority made a mistake as a result of which the child was denied a place to which he/she would otherwise have been entitled.

Sometimes this sort of thing is easy to prove objectively. For example, in a case involving oversubscription where distance is one of the criteria, if the authority has incorrectly measured the distance between home and school, the correct measurement can be compared with that of the last child to be offered a place under the distance criterion, and there is no difficulty in determining what should have happened.

In your case:
1. It is not clear what would have happened - you might have benefited, but so presumably would other applicants. It's not going to be possible to prove your son would have been entitled to a place.
2. The missing bit of information is almost certainly unlawful! No wonder they dropped it - admission arrangements must be objective, and not open to subjective judgement.

You could simply ask a question about this at appeal, but I think it would be a big mistake to focus on it.

Your grounds for appeal should be:
1. Alternative academic evidence of high ability:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2. Reasons for wanting a place at this particular school:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Hope&Faith

Appeal - advice required.

Post by Hope&Faith »

Thought it through and have decided to appeal, should we go with non qualification or oversubscription or both?

Just wondering if we go with both may this prove more difficult if the panel agree with one but not the other.

Thank you.
Etienne

Re: Appeal Advice. Maladministration?

Post by Etienne »

It's not a case of 'either ..... or'! :(

If your child is unqualified, then you have to win the qualification argument.

If the school is oversubscribed, you also have to win the argument that your reasons for wanting a place outweigh any prejudice to the school.
(Even if the school happens to be undersubscribed now, you cannot assume that it will continue to be so.)
Etienne
Hope&Faith

Post by Hope&Faith »

Thank you for your response, background information has been provided to the Appeals Box.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I wouldn't use the quotation you mention.
Etienne
Hope&Faith

Post by Hope&Faith »

Hi, can you tell me if it is correct procedure that The Appeal Panel are made aware of your DC's rank and score in the 11 Plus Test by the School?

Thank you.
Etienne

Re: Oversubscription Appeal Advice

Post by Etienne »

They have to explain why a place has been refused, so it's reasonable - at the very least - to state the cut off score and the score achieved.
Etienne
Hope&Faith

Post by Hope&Faith »

Thank you.
Hope&Faith

Post by Hope&Faith »

Can you also advise - the School in question is to raise its PAN next year, may I use this in my Appeal, is it it likely to help or would it not be deemed appropriate to the current PAN?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now