Redbridge to Gravesend

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
redbridge

Redbridge to Gravesend

Post by redbridge »

This is my first post, so please bear with me if this question has been raised before and answered.

We live in Redbridge (Essex) and my child is currently in year 4 and the situation in Redbridge is that there is only one Grammar school and that is heavily oversubscribed, my child is a good student doing well at her current school so want to try and give her a good chance, so planning to "rent" a property in Gravesend and start her year 5 in a primary school there, Gravesend because rental is slightly cheaper there compared to Orpington!

The idea of moving to Kent is give her a good chance to get her into a grammar school, can she apply for Bexley and Bromley GS whilst based in Gravesend? I think she can apply to Gravesend Girls Grammar School how about Dartford Grammar School is there a catchment criteria?

I will have to rent or sell my existing property and move to Kent, like many other mums and dads out there this is very big decision time for us, so any suggestions and advice would be very helpful.

Many Thanks
Redbridge.
Blametheparents

Re: Redbridge to Gravesend

Post by Blametheparents »

Gravesend Girls (Mayfield Grammar) accepts girls that have passed Kent test, if oversubscribed then bases decision on distance from school.

Little point taking Bexley test in Gravesend, difficult journey to any of the Bexley grammars - would have to get a top 180 place to get a place. Top 180 children get a guaranteed place at their choice of school in Bexley

Dartford girls again takes on Kent test, but Gravesend is out of catchment and this year she would not have got it. They didn't take some girls who live in their catchment area. If out of catchment and there are spaces once catchment girls are accepted then they base decision on score, with something like 413 or above being the minimum necessary.

From Gravesend then the other option is the Medway test with access to Rochester girls etc. Not sure of the admission criteria for Medway schools as we decided to only enter our son for the Kent test.
redbridge

Post by redbridge »

Thanks Blametheparents,

Would you know what is the catchment area for Gravesend Grammar School for Girls and Dartford Grammar School for Girls? Since both these schools accept the Kent test, wondering if a place like Greenhithe or Swanscombe would be within the catchment to both these places?
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Gravesend published oversubscription details are:

a) Looked After Child

b) girls who reside in the postal code areas beginning DA3, DA4, DA9, DA10, DA11, DA12, DA13 or attend Higham CP School

c) girls who reside in the postal code areas beginning TN13, TN14, TN15 and ME3

Dartford is:

a) Looked After Child

b) Sibling who will still be attending the school (including 6th form)

c) girls residing within 1 mile of the school measured in a straight line....

d) girls residing in borough of Dartford or:
Ash-cum-Ridley
Bean
Crockenhill
Darenth
Eynsford
Farningham
Fawkham
Hartley
Horton Kirby & South Darenth
Lonfield and New Barn
Southfleet
Stone
Sutton at Hone and Hawley
Swanley
Swanscombe & Greenhithe
West Kingsdown
Wilmington

How far out they actually went? You would have to contact them and ask.....
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
redbridge

Post by redbridge »

Many Thanks T12ACY,

Looks like renting at Greenhithe is a good option as this is more or less in catchment for both GGSG and DGS.

Cheers
Blametheparents

Post by Blametheparents »

Hartley, fawkham and Longfield also have a number of girls that go to either Dartford or Gravesend.
Wilmington grammar is another option from those areas.

Pressure on girls' places is usually less in the area than boys.

Last year Gravesend girls was undersubscribed and had spaces in September
redbridge

Post by redbridge »

Thanks Blametheparents,

Good to know that Wilmington grammar is also part of the catchment.

Interesting when you say "Last year Gravesend girls was undersubscribed and had spaces in September" does it mean that if one had passed the Kent test and is within the catchment they would have easily got a place offered? on the other hand DGS was over subscribed and catchment girls were not offered a place!

Could it be that DGS is preferred over GGSG?
SSM

Post by SSM »

Yes DGS is normally much more popular than Gravesend, and has been for as long as I can remember.

The other thing to bear in mind when looking at what area to move to, is the school you would get allocated if your DD fails the 11+.
redbridge

Post by redbridge »

Thanks SSM,

I did not think of that!, unfortunately if my DD fails 11+ and if did move to Greenhithe the closest would be Swan Valley Community School, not sure how good or bad a school it is.

However considering that there is only one Grammar school (Woodford County High School) where I am currently based and on the other hand a move to Greenhithe would be better for her as she has 3 GS to try and get into is very tempting and seems the right thing to do.

Fingers crossed, hope she makes it.

It will be of a great help if some parents could PM me good 11+ tutors / coaching classes with the aim to try and get into DGS.
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

Hi Redbridge

Have a look at Medway too - easy access by train from Gravesend and Chatham Girls are usually undersubscribed and I think they will now accept a Kent pass, so no need to take a separate test. The other Medway GS require the Medway test which differs from the Kent Test, but you would probably be too distant to get in anyway, so probably not worth the bother.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now