After school at Nonsuch- advice please

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
modernista

After school at Nonsuch- advice please

Post by modernista »

I am seeking advice from parents of Year 7s. My DD has been going to after school care till 6:30 at her primary. I work in London and am able to get back by 6:00 topick her up on the three days that I work. Can I expect her to do after school clubs for three days so she is not home too much before I reach? Can I plan to work more (say 4 days if not full time?). I earlier believed that the library was open and they could stay there but the timings on the website say that it is open only till four. Can I expect her to stay in the ICT room. I know this may be only for a few months but I need to plan my work and any insight will be appreciated. Should I plan on doing 5 short days?
Babiloo

Re: After school at Nonsuch- advice please

Post by Babiloo »

Modernista,

I have a similar issue as well. My DD is starting this september too,both myself and my DH work fulltime and my father does the pick up. My father will need to pick my DS from Coulsdon and drive to Cheam so I spoke with a mother who currently has a daughter in Nonsuch. She tells me that Nonsuch has a study group where the girls can stay on until 5.10pm or so. So I am looking to take that facility up.

Hope this helps.

Babiloo
modernista

Post by modernista »

Babiloo,
Thanks for your reply. That sounds very encouraging. My daughter is much more likely to stay on if there are other girls. Do you or any existing parents know whether it runs all week?
Bless your dad!
Babiloo

Post by Babiloo »

Modernista,

Yes without my parents I don't think I could've done working full-time and childcare this well.

The Study Group runs everyday and you can also use this oppurtunity to clear doubts and may be get the homework out of the way too.

May be best to call school and get more details. Or any other members with DDs in Nonsuch can clear this for us.
modernista

Post by modernista »

Thanks for that- the info is not in the website. That sounds great because you can not force DD to do some activity because you are at work but there might be some study/ homework/ revision everyday. DD is used to doing homework in after school care and coming hoe to relax so that might work out well.
Babiloo

Post by Babiloo »

Modernista,

I have messaged my friend with DD in Nonsuch and she is going to send me all the details this evening so will post tomorrow with more information.

Babiloo
modernista

Post by modernista »

Brilliant!, Babiloo,

Thanks ever so much!
Babiloo

Post by Babiloo »

Hi Modernista,

As promised more information for you:

The Club is called Twilight Study Club, your DDs are allowed to stay in until 5pm. There will 4 teachers around to give you a hand if you have any doubts or queries.
Also you can drop the girls as early as 7.30am in the mornings if you prefer.
One little issue though the Twilight Study club is only open from Mon-Thurs.

Hope this helps
Babiloo
modernista

Post by modernista »

Babiloo,
It really does actually! I can plan on working from home or not working on Fridays till she is able to come home by herself. This sounds better than the library remaining open as there seems to some supervision and if you are a regular and you dont turn up one day, someone might notice. She will hopefully be doing some after school activities so it should not get monotonous.

Thanks for your help again- this has really put my mind at rest.
Uberyummymummy

Post by Uberyummymummy »

Not wishing to sound negative, but I have 2 DDs at Nonsuch and speak from experience. I would not wish the school day you are suggesting on anyone. 7.30 - 5.00 p.m. is an awfully long day when you're at a top grammar school. The girls tend to do homework at lunchtime, so to expect them to finish at 3.20 and then go straight into yet more study until 5.00 p.m. is not conducive to raising healthy, happy girls. It's a very intensive day - not a lot of fun and I would say don't expect your DD to come home happy after a day like that. Doing homework at secondary school is very different to primary school and your DD will need a break from learning.