Views on taking a holiday in July/August?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jojo1

Views on taking a holiday in July/August?

Post by jojo1 »

Just wanted some opinions on if and how long to go on holiday now the 11+ is being brought forward to the end of September?
Thanks.
hermanmunster

Re: Views on taking a holiday in July/August?

Post by hermanmunster »

we did 11 plus in the second week of September and still went on holiday (twice :oops:)
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

There is evidence that children perform better after a complete break so 2 holidays sounds like a good idea!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A holiday is really important - you all need some relaxation.
djy76

Post by djy76 »

Hi,

I agree with all the comments above, and if you really can't bear to be parted from your 11 plus material take some with you, or just some great books to read!!

djy
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

We went on holiday at the very beginning ..the test was second week in September....I did pack some practice papers but on their production from my handbag was shouted down severely :oops: . DS did score 21 % in his first paper on return :shock: , but soon picked up over the following month or so. I don't think it makes too much of a difference really , by the time it gets to the month before they should pretty much know everything they'll ever going to ...it's just the timings really .
jojo1

Post by jojo1 »

We are going away, have been discussing tonight whether to go for 10 days or 14. We normally drive down to Spain for a month but I remember how long it took ds to get back into the swing of things and although we brought a small amount of work it was far too hot to get much done!
Ds's tutor is taking the first week of the holidays off so will probably add a few days either side.
Thanks for your comments.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

We are going for a week away as soon as DD breaks up in early July but will have ipad apps to hand while waiting for meals in pubs etc. Last year DD spent a week with my folks and a week with DH's. If I parcelled DD off to my Mum with papers to do that would be no problem. Mum would be able help/monitor/whatever as she has that sort of brain. OH's parents would not know where to start so we will have to have a good think about that - probably just get her to read to them. Our exam is 1st Oct so we have a little time back in school before the big day.
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

During the summer hols, we were away for 3 weeks at the beginning and 1 week at the end. I made sure the 11+ was not even mentioned during those times, as I wanted DD to have a complete rest. It took a lot of nerve to completely abandon any preparation, as many people were really cramming during the holidays. But it worked as DD was relaxed and refreshed by the time the tests happened in September.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

We're away for 10 days at the start of the summer hols. I was thinking of taking Bond 10 minute tests with us but having read other comments I think we'll have a complete break then start with a vengeance when we get back. First exam: 14th September :shock: