KE Grammars failed - worth appealing?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

still hopeful?

KE Grammars failed - worth appealing?

Post by still hopeful? »

Hi

Do you think it's worth appealing?

We live in Solihull. DS sat KE Grammars. He's articulate, is in top set for numeracy & literacy, has reading age 13.5 (earlier this year), had 5B's Y5 SATs (need to double check), plus he's predicted 5A's in Y6 SATs plus will sit 6 numeracy, is on the gifted & talented register for drama.

KE Grammar results:
Bishop Vesey 212
KE VI Aston 216
KE VI Five ways 225
KE VI Camp Hill Boys 234

We had KEA, KEFW & KECHB on his preferences but not Bishop Vesey.

His result: 214. This places him 26th on the waiting list for KEA.

We've not yet spoken to his primary school about this.

We had assumed he would score better than this (hence didn't even put Bishop Vesey on the list!), we're wondering whether to appeal on grounds of extenuating circumstances...

Sadly, DS's grandmother passed away unexpectedly (heart attack), 15 days before the exam. The funeral which DS attended was 2 days before the exam. DS's mother spent most of the 2 weeks before the exam away from home. As you can imagine, the mood in the two weeks before the exam was quite sad, family dynamics quite different, often tearful for all members of the family and DS definitely suffered disrupted sleep right - especially after the funeral which was immediately before the exam.

Do you think it's worth appealing?
What further evidence would you recommend we obtain?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Stocky

Re: KE Grammars failed - worth appealing?

Post by Stocky »

Hi Still Hopeful and firstly I am really sorry about everything that has happened, what an awful time. The following has useful information on appealing and extenuating circumstances as apparently the new code doesn't mention it, bringing back the focus on academic ability. This forum is fab for advice, so good luck.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=24978" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'm afraid KE appeals are said to be very difficult.
What further evidence would you recommend we obtain?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
KenR

Post by KenR »

For 2011 -
The number of admission appeals pursued to a final hearing was 88 compared to 84 in the previous year. Seven appeals were allowed (eight in
the previous year).
Please note that this is the total for all 5 KE grammar schools

http://www.kingedwardsfoundation.co.uk/ ... s_2011.pdf
still hopeful?

KE Birmingham Appeal to more than one school?

Post by still hopeful? »

My DS1 missed KEAS by 2 marks and KEFW by 11 marks.

There were extenuating circumstances, so we are appealing.

However, we're thinking of appealing for both schools (KEAS & KEFW), does anybody know if this is wise with KE Consortium? Or have any previous experience?

Personal info sent to Appeals Box.
Etienne

Re: KE Birmingham Appeal to more than one school?

Post by Etienne »

Personal info sent to Appeals Box
Sorry - we don't have enough time to study appeal submissions (as explained in the Appeals Box guidelines). However, it looks as if you've based your letter on advice in the Q&As, which is reassuring! :)
Etienne
still hopeful?

Birmingham KEG Appeal - Is this Academic Evidence relevant?

Post by still hopeful? »

Hi
I am going ahead with an appeal for my DS to KEAS and KEFW. There are extenuating circumstances. My question is concerned with interpretation of academic evidence. Specifically,

1. The primary school have provided a letter confirming his 'current reading age as provided by STAR test in January as fifteen years and one month'.
How well accepted is the 'STAR' test for reading age?

2. I have paid for an Ed Psych report where he was assessed using the British Ability Scales – Second Edition (BAS II).
How well accepted is BAS II?
To me, his results look great (he's 99 percentile for 7 of 8 tests, 95 percentile for the 8th) but how impressed will the KE appeals panel be by them? Is there any specific research or additional info that I'd be wise to research before the hearing? (assuming it gets that far)

Grateful for any help!

Additional background data sent to appeals box.
Etienne

Re: Birmingham KEG Appeal - Is this Academic Evidence releva

Post by Etienne »

How well accepted is the 'STAR' test for reading age?
If you mean 'How well accepted by an appeal panel?', I doubt that they would usually have a view about which reading test is used.

They ought to be cautious about any single test result (I occasionally heard appeals where the child had taken two different reading tests on the same day, delivering widely varying results - 2 to 3 years’ difference!), but even so, I don't think anyone is going to quibble over 15 years and one month! It should be fine.
How well accepted is BAS II?
For anyone familiar with EP reports (and there's likely to be at least someone on an appeal panel who is), BAS II is a standard, well-respected test.
To me, his results look great (he's 99 percentile for 7 of 8 tests, 95 percentile for the 8th) but how impressed will the KE appeals panel be by them?
The results are excellent, but I'm afraid there's no telling how any individual appeal panel will react to a particular bit of evidence.
Is there any specific research or additional info that I'd be wise to research before the hearing? (assuming it gets that far)
I don't think so - assuming the EP has provided some explanatory notes within the report, and discussed the findings with you so that you broadly understand the main points.
Etienne
still hopeful?

Post by still hopeful? »

Many Thanks Etienne :!:

Super quick and helpful response. I'll now just wait and see what happens.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now