Taking the test early

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

reddebs

Taking the test early

Post by reddebs »

Has anyone had any experience or knowledge of a child sittting the 11+ early so tha they move to a grammar school a year before their classmates?
red_debs
mv45

Re: Taking the test early

Post by mv45 »

Hi

My friends DD took her 11 plus exam a year early (year 5)

She was successful and is now in year 7. She only thing she had to bear in mind was whether her DD could cope socially. As her DD was mature enough, it was the right thing to do.

No problems so far, she is well settled.

mv45
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

There has been another thread on here about this recently. I'll see if I can find it.
scary mum
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

The other thread was a child being moved up a school year and then taking the 11+ with their new classmates. Do you mean that you want your child to take it whilst they are still in Year 5?

Not sure if the same rules apply around the UK, but where we are, if you take it early and do not quaify, you are not allowed to take it again the following year Only the 12+ will be open to take if you do not get the required marks.
mv45

Post by mv45 »

Hi

Yep she took it whilst in year 5 and if she didnt pass, she would not be allowed to take it again in year 6 as normal. You only get the sit the test once. It may vary from region to region but I would have thought it would be same everywhere otherwise there would be scores of children sitting the test 2 years in a row.

mv45
katel

Post by katel »

Why on EARTH would you want to do this?
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

I was asking as I have been asked to tutor a child where the parents want the early test - must admit to having reservations as to whether I think it is a good idea or not.
I am not even sure our local authortiy would allow it so thought I would ask the forum what their views were.
red_debs
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I think the other post might have been withdrawn but I think the conclusions were were quite negative with regards to what happens when the child is older and have a peer group that are legally allowed to drink, drive etc and they cannot. They may be too young to live in Halls at Uni etc. and have to take a year out at that stage.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now