Laptop fixing

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Looking for help

Laptop fixing

Post by Looking for help »

Does anyone know whether if the casing of a laptop is broken round the power jack it can be repaired?

Aargh - can't charge the thing up and need stuff off it, but it's about 3 years old and I don't want to spend a fortune fixing it.

Thanks
programmer

Re: Laptop fixing

Post by programmer »

What make and model of laptop is it? Do you have a link of the broken piece. Also look at http://www.ifixit.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to see if they have anything relevant for your laptop.
Looking for help

Thanks programmer - it's a Toshiba Satellite L500 (I think) - and I'll have a read at your link to see if there's something we can do.
pist

Post by pist »

When my old lap-top died a friend got me a relatively cheap thingy, that could connect the hard disc to my pc so that I could transfer everything I needed. If your laptop is expensive to fix that might be worth considering. - Sorry I'm not a techie, so don't know what the thingy is calles, maybe somebody here knows.
fredita

Post by fredita »

You can always take the hard disk out of the laptop and put in inside a hard drive enclosure/caddy. Access to the data can then be done via a USB cable on a different computer.
pist

Post by pist »

fredita wrote:You can always take the hard disk out of the laptop and put in inside a hard drive enclosure/caddy. Access to the data can then be done via a USB cable on a different computer.
:D Thanks fredita - much better description than "thingy"
doodles

Post by doodles »

I knew what you meant by a "thingy"!

Have you got a local independent shop / mobile techie that could give you a quote and if that is too expensive they can then download your information onto a useable format. Also when our power cable stopped working I bought a universal one that had interchangeable connectors with it.

Goodluck, I know how frustrating an unchanged laptop is.
Looking for help

Thanks for the advice - there is a little PC shop near us, i think we'll take it along at the weekend. If it can be repaired cheaply, we'll have a go, if not get the info off the hard drive as advised.
programmer

Post by programmer »

Google for power jack and the model name of the laptop. You may even find some on ebay for the replacement part. Also google for teardown with model name of the laptop. You may need tiny screw drivers and an anti static band. Put the screws that you unscrew in an ice cube tray, one cube per step. Once the laptop is opened, you can replace the jack. Finally put them all back together, same procedure but now in reverse. Remember to take the battery out while you do this. Good luck.
Looking for help

Thanks programmer - the little shop near us has closed down now :( , so will be resorting to your advice.

Off to find the tiny screwdrivers.....