Considering schools from overseas

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

expatmum

Considering schools from overseas

Post by expatmum »

I am a British Mum living in the States whose children are in the US school system. At some point in the next few years we will likely return to the UK. My son is an October 2001 DOB so my query is whether I should prepare him for taking the 11+ in 2013 with a view to keeping the result for use when we need to apply to a new school for him. We would look at both grammar and independent. I feel like we have been out of the UK system for so long now that I am completely confused by all the changes.....
Last edited by expatmum on Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nanny Ogg

Re: Considering schools from overseas

Post by Nanny Ogg »

I may be completely wrong here, but I think that private and indie schools have their own admission tests, in which case the 11+ result would be irrelevant.

I am sure someone will be along shortly to correct me if I'm wrong :D
expatmum

Post by expatmum »

Thanks NannyOgg - I meant to write grammar and independent!
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

If he is October 2001 born, then he will be starting Year 7 in 2013 - which means he will be taking the 11+ in 2012 - they basically take the test around a year before they enter year 7.

For example - my son is August 2001 and his cohort sat the test September/December 2011 for entry into year 7 September 2012.

They have brought the exams forward for many of the schools now as well (some as early as July 2012 for September 2013 entry), so you need to be aware what is happening in the area you are proposing to relocate.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Where in the country would you be living? I think it might depend on the area. I think (and someone will correct me if this is wrong) that in Buckinghamshire the 11 plus result is valid until the end of key stage 3 but you can't apply for a place at a particular school until you are living there, but it may well be different in different areas. Pupils can sit the 12+, 13+ etc at the appropraite time in Buckinghamshire too, so there is no real need to "bank" the result. Independent schools would have entrance exams for each year, I would have thought.
scary mum
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

If he is Oct 2001 then he would be taking the 11+ in Sept/Oct 2012 depending on the area. Since the test is different in every area it would be difficult to do anything from US. Do you know where you are coming back to and when?
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

And having read your post properly, the 11+ probably won't be at all relevant for your child as he will be a few years past that date and will have to sit whatever entrance exam the individual schools/academies decide. I would think there is very little you can do until you are 6/12 months before moving and can then find out exactly what tests and entrance exams are relevant for the schools in which you are interested. Sounds like it will be a nightmare!!!!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

scary mum wrote:I think (and someone will correct me if this is wrong) that in Buckinghamshire the 11 plus result is valid until the end of key stage 3
Unfortunately not, scary. The Bucks 11+ result is valid for one year - off the top of my head I think the clock starts ticking from the date of testing, but it could be from the date of receiving the result - I can't remember right now.
but you can't apply for a place at a particular school until you are living there
Actually you can - I have known children to be allocated places at certain Bucks grammars from some very far-flung locations indeed! Places are offered in distance order, and even if the last applicant is in Timbuktu, they will receive a place if one is available.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

expatmum wrote:I am a British Mum living in the States whose children are in the US school system. At some point in the next few years we will likely return to the UK. My son is an October 2001 DOB so my query is whether I should prepare him for taking the 11+ in 2013 with a view to keeping the result for use when we need to apply to a new school for him. We would look at both grammar and independent. I feel like we have been out of the UK system for so long now that I am completely confused by all the changes.....
Hi expatmum! good luck with this.. - oyur DS will be 11 in october this year so if he would need to take the 11 plus in the area you want to move to in September... not much time really to decide :roll: an get sorted etc etc . After year 7 (first year at senior school) there are assorted ways to get into grammars.. not for the faint hearted involving waiting lists / entrance exams etc etc Trouble is they are not really designed for people moving (even though obviously a lot of people do..). Indies may be more flexible and many have 13+ entrance exams (some common entrance) etc.

A lot would depend on the area..
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I believe a girl from California took the Gloucester 11+ this year I assume she took the test in the USA- not sure if she got a place or not.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now