Need a little help on these Q's from Letts Success 6

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

janet71

Need a little help on these Q's from Letts Success 6

Post by janet71 »

Please can someone explain how to work these out as me and my DS are stumped

Q25 Next in sequence - Answer is A

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/ ... al/Q25.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Q 12 Choose the shape on the right which belongs to the group on the left. Answer is B

Q 14 Choose the shape on the right which belongs to the group on the left Answer A

Also Image
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/ ... al/Q19.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Incase its not clear the box 1 has small 1 dash and 1 X and box 2 is the same but larger, Then box 3 is a small box 1 X 2 dashes and same for box 3, then box 4 is a Large box 1 X 2 dashes and same again for box 6. The answer is small box 1X 3 dashes - I see the increments but cant see the pattern...thanks

Hope Ive done the images right that you can see - From Letts success 6 10-11years

thanks
Q19 answer is B but cant see an obvious pattern.
Last edited by janet71 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Nanny Ogg

Re: Need a little help on these Q's from Letts Success 6

Post by Nanny Ogg »

Can't seem to open the photo full size, so I can only see thumbnails, which is too small for me to be able to see the questions...sorry.
janet71

Post by janet71 »

Hope you can see them better now thanks
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Q.25, the 2 dashes start at the top, move to the middle, then the bottom and by the end are back at the top, so the missing one must have the dashes in the middle - gotta be 'a' or 'b'. The small white circle moves a side and half every time (sorry rubbish explanation I know), so it will move from the bottom ledt corner to the middle of the top line = 'a'.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Q.12/14 are not sequence questions but rather finding a theme/connection between the 3 objects and then finding the one which fits that theme best. Q.12 - the theme is 4 triangles inside or surrounding a 4 sided shape-cant be 'a', 'c' or 'd', 'b' is the only one which has 4 triangles inside or surrounding a four sided shape. Q.14 - theme is a circle, with a line or dashed line which doesnt pass through the diameter, reaches the edge of the circle but doesnt cut through it - cant be 'b' (cuts it) or 'c' (doesn't reach the edge), 'd' (passes through middle) or 'e' (has a line and a dashed line) - gotta be 'a'.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Q.19 I'm finding dreadful to explain in words, so I apologise now! The number of little line(s) in the bottom right hand corner, controls the pattern and however many line(s) there are you will get that number of small and big squares to form the pattern. So 1 little line inside 1 small square, 1 big square, we now need 2 little lines inside 2 small squares, then 2 big squares, next we get 3 little lines in 3 small squares and then 3 big squares - so the next in the sequence is the first small square with 3 small lines - gotta be 'b' or 'c' - cant be 'c' as the lines are wiggly.
Nanny Ogg

Post by Nanny Ogg »

Q19 sequence is:
1 small box with x / and 1 large box with x /
2 small boxes with x // and 2 large boxes with x //

Therefore follows that the next part of the sequence would be:
3 small boxes with x /// and 3 large boxes with x ///

Therefore the next box would be the first of those 3 small x /// - so answer the answer is B - a small box with x ///

Hope that makes sense?
janet71

Post by janet71 »

Stocky wrote:Q.25, the 2 dashes start at the top, move to the middle, then the bottom and by the end are back at the top, so the missing one must have the dashes in the middle - gotta be 'a' or 'b'. The small white circle moves a side and half every time (sorry rubbish explanation I know), so it will move from the bottom ledt corner to the middle of the top line = 'a'.
I get the dashes but Im still stumped by the circle - Are you saying it goes across like a knight in chess move? across then down - I know its hard to explain in words.
janet71

Post by janet71 »

Stocky wrote:Q.12/14 are not sequence questions but rather finding a theme/connection between the 3 objects and then finding the one which fits that theme best. Q.12 - the theme is 4 triangles inside or surrounding a 4 sided shape-cant be 'a', 'c' or 'd', 'b' is the only one which has 4 triangles inside or surrounding a four sided shape. Q.14 - theme is a circle, with a line or dashed line which doesnt pass through the diameter, reaches the edge of the circle but doesnt cut through it - cant be 'b' (cuts it) or 'c' (doesn't reach the edge), 'd' (passes through middle) or 'e' (has a line and a dashed line) - gotta be 'a'.
Thanks I get Q12 now. Once we saw the answer to Q14 I thought the same explanation but my DS seemed to think the number of dashes was in sequence but now I realise its about belonging to the group - many thanks all clear.
janet71

Post by janet71 »

Nanny Ogg wrote:Q19 sequence is:
1 small box with x / and 1 large box with x /
2 small boxes with x // and 2 large boxes with x //

Therefore follows that the next part of the sequence would be:
3 small boxes with x /// and 3 large boxes with x ///

Therefore the next box would be the first of those 3 small x /// - so answer the answer is B - a small box with x ///

Hope that makes sense?
Got it :D thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now