Codes - Question for Patricia Maybe???

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Stocky

Codes - Question for Patricia Maybe???

Post by Stocky »

I have a question regarding the wording of a codes question. If LEAF is written QIDH, what is the code for TREE - Word to Code this +5 +4 +3 +2. If YVW is the code for BED, what is the code for COT - this question requires you to look at the position in the alphabet etc. My DS is absolutely fine with both types, if he knows that the second type is a position one etc, but my question is how would a DC know that the second question required them to look at position in the alphabet instead of doing the method in the first question? If they start off doing word to code for BED to YVW they would get -3 -9 -7, applying this to COT would give you ZFM which is obviously wrong as position gives XLG. Would the second type of question be worded differently? Thanks for your help.
patricia

Re: Codes - Question for Patricia Maybe???

Post by patricia »

A copy and paste of one of my old posts follows....

W X Y Z A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z A B C D

:: You need to find a WORD or a CODE.

:: You need to learn a rule and keep to it as differnet publishers use different layouts, sometimes they are different within the same section.

“Whatever you are looking for goes on the bottom.”

:: If you are looking for a WORD the WORD goes on the BOTTOM.
:: If you are looking for a CODE the CODE goes on the BOTTOM.

The word to remember is BOTTOM.

Example 1

If the code for LUCK is JSAI
What does EMMB mean?

:: Ignore the first line; go straight to the second line as you need to find out WHAT you are looking for, in this case, a WORD

::You are looking for a WORD so the WORD goes on the BOTTOM

..................J SAI
What does EMMB mean?

::Now work in a downwards fashion.

:: How do you get from J to L = +2 apply to the 1st letter of the code in the second line E +2 = G
:: How do you get from S to U = +2, apply to 2nd letter of the code in the second line M +2 = O
:: How do you get from A to C = +2, apply to 3rd letter of the code in the second line M +2 = O
:: How do you get from I to K = +2, apply to 4th letter of the code in the second line B +2 = D
:: This produces the word GOOD; mark it on the answer sheet.

:: YOU ONLY NEED TO WRITE THE LETTERS DOWN; THE REST IS SAID SILENTLY IN YOUR HEAD.

:: It is VERY important to keep to the same rule, if not you WILL get the wrong answer.

Example 2

W X Y Z A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z A B C D

If the code QBLE means SAND
What is the code for MOST?

“Whatever you are looking for goes on the bottom”

:: If you are looking for a WORD the WORD goes on the BOTTOM.
:: If you are looking for a CODE the CODE goes on the BOTTOM.

:: Ignore the first line; go straight to the second line as you need to find out WHAT you are looking for, in this case, a code.
:: You are looking for a CODE so the CODE goes on the BOTTOM

.............SAND
If the code QBLE means SAND
What is the code for MOST?

:: Now work in a downwards fashion.

:: How do you get from S to Q = - 2 apply to the 1st letter of the word in the second line M - 2 = K
:: How do you get from A to B = + 1, apply to 2nd letter of the word in the second line O + 1 = P
:: How do you get from N to L = - 2, apply to 3rd letter of the word in the second line S - 2 = Q
:: How do you get from D to E = + 1, apply to 4th letter of the word in the second line T + 1 = U
:: This produces the code KPQU; mark it on the answer sheet.

:: YOU ONLY NEED TO WRITE THE LETTERS DOWN; THE REST IS SAID SILENTLY IN YOUR HEAD.

Short Cuts

Once you have mastered this technique you can start using a variety of time saving methods:

Method 1

Work out the first 3 letters only, then check the multiple choice answer sheet, most of the time these first three letters will be enough to find the answers from the options given. Sometimes you may need to find the next letter. Do not bother looking after one or two letters it is very rare that you will find the answer and therefore you will be wasting precious time by constantly checking.

Method 2

Work out the first and last letters only then check the multiple choice answer sheet, most of the time these first and last letters will be enough to find the answers from the options given. Sometimes you may need to find one more letter.
e.g. B______E
Answer sheet shows BARGE and BADGE , you will need to find the 3rd letter.

I only use method 2 with my "brighter" students as sometimes the questions are set up with different amounts of letters eg

What does EMMBLCQQ mean?

If the code for EMMBLCQQ is GOODNESS
What does ???? mean?

This becomes a whole new ball game and only my "quick thinking" students can "see" what to do. Some of my children use both methods depending on the length of letters. Its a practice thing, finding the best method that suits the child.

Patricia
anxiousp

Post by anxiousp »

Hi,
In order to see wether the Q. is a position code one or not....I tell the children to label the alphabet as:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 | 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
A B C D E F G H I J K L M | N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

labelling till 13 upto M(the half point of the alphabet) and the counting downwards from N.
This way they can quickly check if the question relates to positioning or not.

"If YVW is the code for BED, what is the code for COT"
In this it can be seen that Y is position number 2 and B is also position number 2....V is 5 and E is 5....so on..
So it can be seen that C is 3..socode will be X..and so on.

I have found this shortcut extremely helpful.I hope this helps.

anxiousp
patricia

Post by patricia »

That will teach me to read the question properly! :oops:

Follows an old post on MIRROR CODES...

MIRROR CODES

Immediately put a line between the M and N to signify the mirror.

If the code for ESTATE is VHGZGV

What is the code for HOUSE

Is it a mirror. Look at the first letter of the word and code are they mirrors = yes E is 5 in from the beginning of the alphabet and V is 5 in form the end. Must make a second check. Find a pair of letters that are obvious if possible. In this case A is obviously the mirror of Z.

Checks done. Proceed as mirror code.

What is the mirror of H = S
What is the mirror of O = L
What is the mirror of U= F
what is the mirror of S= H
What is the mirror of E= V

I teach my children to know the alphabet well. I explain that the mirror is between M and N ie 13 letters each side of the mirror. I also show them that E is the 5th letter from the left and V is the 5th letter from the right.

With this knowledge it makes it easier to find mirrors reasonably quickly.

If they are looking for mirror of P its 3 away from the mirror, 3 away from the other side of the mirror is K

If they are looking for the mirror of F, they know E is 5th, therefore F is 6th. they know V is 5th so the sixth is U.

If they are looking for the mirror of X then its 3 away from the right end so its pair is 3 away from the left end.= C

Patricia
patricia

Post by patricia »

For long and 2 letter codes [C and U] my children do not start the section until they have set the alphabet up for mirrors. They draw a line between M and N [the mirror] then put 5 on top of E and V [to help with the counting of letters away from the mirror.]

In doing so, it reminds them that there could be some mirror/inverted mirrors included.

They then check the whole section for mirrors before they start, putting a large M next to the relevant mirror question. It only takes a few seconds but saves time and heartache in the long run.

Patricia
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Thank you. We are fine on the technique for both types (thanks to your advice on earlier posts). It is more how to spot whether its mirror question or not. Once DS knows it is, he is fine on the mirror technique, but its the initial realisation of whether its a +1 +2 +3 +4 type or a mirror type. My DD who passed last year says 'you just know' because the example is always 'A' with a 'Z' or 'B' with a 'Y' etc.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Another forum member created some very helpful mnemonics that the children can learn to help them recognise mirror pairs:
JaysDarlin wrote: AZ Angry Zebra
BY Batty Yaks
CX Catty X
DW Dozy Worm
EV Electric Violin
FU Fat Umpire
GT Greedy Tiger
HS Hoppy Squirrel
IR Impatient Rhino
JQ Jungle Quest
KP Kindly Penguin
LO Lucky Owl
MN Muddy Newt
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Stocky

Take a look at my post above, it shows how to check for mirrors...

Immediately put a line between the M and N to signify the mirror.

If the code for ESTATE is VHGZGV

What is the code for HOUSE

Is it a mirror

Look at the first letter of the word and code are they mirrors = yes E is 5 in from the beginning of the alphabet and V is 5 in form the end. Must make a second check. Find a pair of letters that are obvious if possible. In this case A is obviously the mirror of Z.

Checks done. Proceed as mirror code.

I get my children to make these 2 checks for every question in a section of type C and U before they start. Takes only a few seconds but saves time in the long run.

Patricia
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

fantastic Patricia - that sorts it nicely :D
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Got DS doing this and its working wonderfully!!!! Most of the time if it isn't a mirror he has eliminated it on his first 'check' - which I guess will happen :oops: