Verbal Reasoning

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

wanting4

Verbal Reasoning

Post by wanting4 »

I can't see any info regarding verbal reasoning in the stickys. Are there any verbal reasoning questions in the KE/QM exams?
Thanks W4
wanting4

Re: Verbal Reasoning

Post by wanting4 »

Anyone? :?: :D Thanks.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Hello wanting4,

I am not supposed to be on here, but thought I would give you a quick reply whilst I deal with my inbox:

The verbal reasoning comes within the English paper: comprehension, cloze exercises, vocabulary and jumbled words (which appeared this year).

The CEM papers do not have traditional VR questions, but I guess the vocabulary section (synonyms and antonyms) and the jumbled words are the nearest to the usual types of VR.

UmSusu
UmSusu
wanting4

Post by wanting4 »

UmSusu, thanks so much. It's DDs weakest link so to speak so I'm wondering how much I'd have to do to help her improve. Your reply has really helped. x
vza

Post by vza »

Hello Wanting4,

DD took the Newport CEM test last November. From the little feedback I had from her, there were very little traditional (GL assessment style) VR questions in the test. However, this does not mean that there will be no VR questions this year.
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

Verbal reasoning should come as second nature a couple of months before the exam; it should in theory be their strongest subject. Finish bond fifth level by start of summer and then move on different varieties bought from waterstones and such like. Practice all 21 types as mentioned here; our favourite was the mirror codes and maths ones with codes.
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

I agree with UmSusu but I'm concerned that they may bring codes etc like Paramjeet has mentioned, back again! :shock:

Jumbled up sentences with an extra rogue word thrown in was something not seen before, so anything is possible now!
wanting4

Post by wanting4 »

Thanks for your input everyone. We'll do more practice. The codes questions she finds ok. The problem ones are the make a new word from two other words. She does them eventually but it takes an age. Obviously we won't have that luxury in the test! :shock:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

There's absolutely no reason to practice "21 types" style VR for CEM tests other than as some sort of general mental exercise or if you're contemplating Handsworth Grammar. CEM are fairly up front about what they see as meaningful in VR terms: vocabulary, with a hint of grammar, and very little else, because they consider the acquisition of vocabulary to be more or less tutor proof. That's why you have synonyms/antonyms, cloze tests, jumbled sentences, etc.

Mike
wanting4

Post by wanting4 »

Thanks Mike. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now