Is English generally the weaker subject?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

2outof3

Is English generally the weaker subject?

Post by 2outof3 »

I've just registered DS for Sutton mocks (haven't told him yet 8)) but it got me interested in the scores for last year (which are still available if you google.)

Just on a random scan down the marks sheet it seemed to me, time and time again, that even those who achieved the "pass mark" generally scored noticeably lower on the English paper. (For those who don't know the Sutton mocks, the test last year consisted of VR, maths and English comprehension.) This was quite often evident even when the candidate scored very highly on VR.

The scores are interesting as you are given your raw score and then a standardised score against what amounts to a large cohort (over 2000 sit the mocks).

Personally this causes me some relief as DS (preparing for 2013 entry) is scoring much lower in percentage terms in English papers than on anything else and I'm struggling to know how we can make any real improvement on this.

I was just interested in knowing if my findings on the mock tests ring true with others who have sat them (or any of the real Sutton school tests where English is involved) and if so, what the reason could be. Are the English papers really that much harder relatively or is it just a case of candidates not preparing as efficiently for English? :) .
la boume

Re: Is English generally the weaker subject?

Post by la boume »

hi, tried to dig out my DD's last year mock test results, but could not find it. Don't remember her candidate number anyway. just remember that her English score was quote high, and it was multiple choice paper. DD found it easy, and her math score was lower then English. By then DD has done a term and a half tuition in VR and NVR, but we did not prepare English or Math. Still remember her overall score though.
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

Maybe it's a boy thing!

Below is just a sample of raw scores from a random group of boys (they were all listed one after the other so I haven't fixed the figures!)

VR Maths English
91 84 47
85 81 64
87 74 72
59 70 56
78 67 50
87 77 69
76 81 58

Obviously it's just a tiny sample but I found the same pattern repeated throughout the results.

I'm obviously becoming far too obsessed with the whole thing, but I found it interesting reading :shock:
laretta

Post by laretta »

Hi

I noticed this pattern too! Both my dd's did the Sutton mocks 4 years apart and both scored significantly less in their English, I don't know why this is. I expect that for many of the sitters English may not be their fist language, but this is not the case for us??
My eldest who sat 5 years ago did not sit English in the real test, but my youngest who sat last year scored only 5 more in vr than in English for the real thing whereas for the mock I think they were around 15-20 points apart.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

No one got full standardized score, which makes me think that the reference population is different than the children taking test this year.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

I also noticed that no-one seemed to score full marks for 2011 results but with over 2000 children sitting the test you can assume that a significant proportion of children sitting the real Sutton/Tiffin tests will have sat for the Sutton mocks.

Of course the mocks don't provide you with anything other than a guide as to what stage your DC are at when they sit the mock (and useful exam practice of course) but I do think there is some significance in the low English results for many of the boys.
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

My son scored much higher on English than other papers in the Sutton mock which was a surprise to us. Last year was the first year that English has been included in the mock - several years ago when our other child did the test it tested for Maths, VR and NVR only. I know it is only a mock test and one can't assume a child's success or otherwise from it but generally I feel it is a good indication if your focus is on the right subjects and shows whether you need to refocus in time for the real exams. All those children we know who scored highly ie 335 and over secured their grammar school places in the real exams. Of those scoring lower ie around the pass mark or just above it, some were successful and others weren't. It's the only opportunity before the real thing to assess your child's abilities against the cohort (generally) they will be up against in the exams and for that reason it's very valuable.
laretta

Post by laretta »

Goodness, I must be remembering it all wrong as I thought english was in the mock a few years ago when my eldest sat, but I think you are right and the nvr element was removed to make way for English quite recently. My 1st dd did not need nvr at the time and did not score well in it as had not done any practice - in my mind I must have switched the two disciplines. :lol:
3HMum

Post by 3HMum »

Hi all,

this forum is such a well of help and information, I am so grateful for it and you all.

Actually I have just registered my DD for the Sutton mock too, I will tell her tonight. At the same time I feel so scared if she is disappointed. We haven't had any tutor's guidance, but grateful for a dear friend's help and this forum.......for what DD is able to do up to now. So, I guess we will go through as much as we can until we are given a date and time for the mock.

Cross fingers it all goes well :!:
laretta

Post by laretta »

3Hmum

Don't worry, the main reason to take the mock is to familiarise oneself with test conditions and hopefully get any silly mistakes out of the way. My first dd missed the mock pass mark by a couple of points, but in the real thing exceeded it by over 30 points! I have also read of others on here whose children were 30-40 points off the pass mark in the mock, but still achieved enough in the real thing - you never can tell either way, but at this point good preparation is all you can do for them. Good luck :)