New SATS Exam and It's affect on Year 7

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
iMum

New SATS Exam and It's affect on Year 7

Post by iMum »

My DD goes to independent school now and she is in year 3. I am hoping that she will get a place in the grammar school for year 7, if she won't get through, I am thinking of putting her in the catchment (state secondary) school for year 7. But in the recent news that I heard, SATS exam going to be rated to Level 6 and the SATS results will be used to assess the children ability when they do grouping according to the children ability in year 7.
My DD will not be sitting for SATS since she is in independent school. How would this affect her if she go to the catchment school for year 7?
I am bit worried and I need good guidance and advice please.
Guest55

Re: New SATS Exam and It's affect on Year 7

Post by Guest55 »

There was a level 6 test in the past - it wasn't taken very seriously as all it indicated was a good level 5a. There were very few that got the level 6 so I wouldn't worry. I cannot think that any school is going to use this test to set them in Year 7.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Hello imum, Well done for thinking ahead and covering a range of options. Have you checked to see if the school you are considering actually streams in Year 7? Our semi selective school does not stream in any subjects until Year 8 so all pupils, irrespective of their primary school background and their route into the school, have the opportunity to shine in Year 7. Most of our local schools also wait to assess their new students themselves before beginning to group them. The Level 6 tests are new and the vast majority of Year 6 students will not sit them. Many schools will not even apply to sit them, they had to apply in November 2011 to sit them next month. Even for schools who did apply, only the children who get a 5 on the 3-5 paper will be eligible to be awarded a Level 6 from sitting the Level 6 paper. So all in all you have nothing to worry about! DG
iMum

Post by iMum »

I just wanted to thank you for your kind advices and comments.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now