Hunger Games movie

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Waiting_For_Godot

Hunger Games movie

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Is the hunger games movie based on the first book only? My boys have only read the first book and they like to read a novel before seeing a film.
Snowdrops

Re: Hunger Games movie

Post by Snowdrops »

We wen today and it's brillaint.

I haven't read the books, but dd has, and she says yes, it's just based on the first book.

Enjoy it!!
Chilled

Post by Chilled »

Yes, it is based only on the first book.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

DS1 bought the books ...hasn't got round to reading them, so I flicked through the first one and read all 3 in one day ...the characters in the film seem to me to be pretty true to the way they are portrayed in the book . The film is based just on the first book and is left open for the next film to continue the story. I heard the next film will be out in 2013 and the last book is to be split into 2 films ??
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Three books in one day!!! :shock:

Thanks everyone for the heads up! :)
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:Three books in one day!!! :shock:
Yes..........it was during The Family Grand Digging Day at the allotment :D
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

My son also read all three really quickly. He thoroughly enjoyed the film, which is based on the first one, but felt that the book was better as so much had been edited out in the film . Same as HP really -although I'm glad he's read something new for a change :lol:
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I don't quite understand why people praise the Hunger Games so much. I myself have read the books yet as an adult found them disturbing and eminently unsuitable for adults, let alone children. Those that read books about children killing each other and watch the film as entertainment whilst treating the subject matter as 'gritty' and 'relevant' are completely incomprehensible to me. I do not see the need for society in general and children in particular to spend their life in the gutter. It is an ironic thought that last week Kony was trending on Twitter, this week it is the Hunger Games. 'Giving children weapons and telling them to kill each other; one week it's genocide, the next it's entertainment' - either way it is not suitable for children.

Posted by Miss Magwich
Amber

Post by Amber »

Living as I do in the Dark Ages, I hadn't heard of this before I saw it on the forum, but just looked it up and it is billed as a 'young adult' novel. So presumably if the target audience is young adults, by which I understand very late teens, early twenties, they can make their own minds up about seeing children killing each other (haven't seen it and will not see it so don't know...is this really what it's about)? It worries me quite a bit too, if this is what kids have a taste for, but I know I am very old fashioned.
JK Rowling targeted her HP books at 14 year olds apparently , but lots of tinies read them, so perhaps these same tinies are looking for something even more graphic when they become 14. :(

Agree with the point about child soldiers Miss M...but must stress I haven't seen the film or read the books. It seems nothing is off-limits any more. Sigh.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

My almost 10 yr old is reading the Hunger Games at the moment. He has been reading quite a few books by Robert Muchamore which are about teenagers working as spies in occupied France in the 2WW and more modern spies working with the FBI and MI6. I find the content as bit suspect as there is quite a bit of swearing and violence in them but there is also quite a bit about how the characters feel and cope with the situations they find themselves and the baddies usually get their comeuppance. I have discussed the swearing and DS said "well I knew all the words anyway but I don't have to use them do I?" -he remains a well spoken, well behaved boy -not inclined to violent behavior in any way.
I had a chat with DS's teacher who felt that they were suitable for his reading ability and his level of emotional development. I have resisted the 16 /18 computer games DS asks to play and others do play in his year.

The Lord of the Flies is a pretty grim book in places - but regarded as suitable as a exam text in the past.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now