Grammar and Punctuation Practice

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

toolate

Grammar and Punctuation Practice

Post by toolate »

Hi,
DS is sitting Essex this Sept and English is definitely his weakest. I know they have a very tough comprehension but in recent years there seems to have been a greater focus on questions involving punctuation, grammar & spelling.

Spelling is pretty disastrous (thought he was dyslexic for years it was that bad, turns out he has very significant visual memory problems but bright in all processing areas so has learnt to compensate...another story).

Anyway I am looking for LOTS of punctuation and grammar practice either through books or websites. Although I have First Aid and Susan Daughtrey - they only have limited exercises and I would like more.

Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks
copella

Re: Grammar and Punctuation Practice

Post by copella »

Hi we looked at First Aid in English but we felt it was too dry and boring for a 9/10 year old. However we came across the Usborne Guide to Better English - Grammar, spelling and punctuation. it is cartoonish, but informative and my son liked the look of it and it did the job re grammar and punctuation. His spelling is Ok ish so we didn't really do much with the spelling section. Best of luck
toolate

Post by toolate »

Thank you - that does look great. I have ordered it.
PS. First Aid a walk in the park compared to Susan Daughtrey...insane number of rules, very methodical but too much for my 10yr old.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

I agree with Copella. That's the book I use with students and Dcv as it's easy to understand and not daunting. Could have a bit more white space on the page but at least it is interesting for children to look at and gets them interested.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now