city of london for boys

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
City Hopeful

city of london for boys

Post by City Hopeful »

Hello there,

Please would some-one kindly tell me more about 'home visits' that City of London do......I have one next week!!

What are they looking for?

Their official answer is a bit general and vague, I wonder what the unofficial version is?

Should I treat it like an interview for me?

More importantly, is it possible to 'fail' a home visit?

Thank you so much if you could help me.
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

Home Visit?
Do these things still occur in this day and age?

Sounds very intrusive to me. :oops:

Please enlighten me more.

Footymad.
City Hopeful

Post by City Hopeful »

Well I did ask for more info from the school, I was told that it was an opportunity for us and them to find out a bit more about each other.

My child does not need to be there....so it's only me!

Anyway , please if there's anyone out there with some more insight, please, please share it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

Post by Guest »

Is this for entry into Year 7 or Year 9? My son was offered a place there last year for Year 7. He did entrance test and interview but no mention of home visit. I've never heard of them doing this. Are there special circumstances of some kind?

Post by Guest »

If you apply for a bursary or a reduction in fees then a home visit might be required. I was put off a particular school because I was told to expect a home visit, and I was enquiring about scholarships! Highly intrusive in my opinion. I would think they want to see if you have any expensive antiques worth selling to pay for your child's education. Basically, they're accessing your ability to pay (less)!
susan

city of london

Post by susan »

Did you accept the offer if so how do you find the school, is your son happy there?
We have received couple of offers from independent schools, and we are weighing our options, city of london is a very good academic school but we are not 100% sure it just appears very dry!

Post by Guest »

Yes, we've got that dilemma too.

City or another independent.....

We do like City of London a lot but the travelling into london everyday is a bit off-putting.

Should we stick to the one closer to home although it is not our absolute 1st choice?

How do other boys find the journey? does it have a negative impact?

Post by Guest »

I've heard they are going to increase the number of coaches from different locations to make it easier and have less dependence on the underground

Post by Guest »

Did anyone else's son get into City of London but didn't get into Latymer Upper--we assumed that City 's was a more difficult exam to pass (and my son definitely thought the City exam was harder)
susan

city of london for boys

Post by susan »

It seems that getting into Latymer upper was harder this year than getting into city of london. I know of several boys who got a place at City but did not get a place at Latymer .

I agree the commuting to city is off putting, it is a very tough choice, ultimately we all want our sons to flourish in a good challenging environment . We are at the moment very undecided.