LGGS Advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lancashire & Cumbria

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Facedcomic

LGGS Advice

Post by Facedcomic »

Hi there, I'm currently working with my daughter for LGGS entry 2013. This is my first time. Could anybody offer any advice? I've read the admissions document on the LGGS website, but any further information or insights would be much appreciated. Thanks!
3kids3rabbits

Re: LGGS Advice

Post by 3kids3rabbits »

Hello! We are late starters into the Grammar system as we have just moved to the area. Just out of catchment for LGGS (by about half a mile!) but haven't even started tutoring my daughter for 2013 entry. She is working at level 5 and we have been advised by her primary school teacher that she should go for it!
Just wondered how things were going with you? did you find out the information you were after? How is your daughter doing with the mock tests ?
Facedcomic

Post by Facedcomic »

Hi there, doing well thank you. I haven't found out anything since my last post. We are out of catchment area too...grrrrhhh competition :) ...although my daughter has a friend who lives nearby and goes to LGGS. They let so many in each year. I'm going through the curriculum with her before starting with the test papers. For me the biggest driver is that she is really up for it and getting into the swing of doing a little each week...I'm not going mad as I feel that would have the opposite effect...I think you've got plenty of time...although I suppose that really depends on where your daughter is at...it would, I feel, be a slightly different story with my son :)...How about you?
3kids3rabbits

Post by 3kids3rabbits »

Hello, thanks for replying (as we are competition, lol, hadn't thought of it like that!!). That's really good that there is a local girl to you that has got into LGGS, it gives you more hope for us OOC's!

I need to sit down with my daughter and discuss the whole subject, she is bright but seems to rebel at home (she is a model student at school, apparently!) and I struggle getting her to do normal h/w never mind this! She does really want to go to the grammar so I am hoping after a bit of a chat she will get on with it.

I downloaded a few of the iPhone apps that were recommended on here so might get her to try them in the first instance. Do you use the GL books? are you using a tutor or doing it yourself?

All the best :)
Facedcomic

Post by Facedcomic »

Hi again,

I think half the battle is within the child themselves. I'm doing it myself using the books. I enjoy the time with her and we are developing our bond further. She also sees that I have a brain and I'm not just a sad dad!! This stuff can also be fun too...yes I'm actually a sad dad...but I won't tell her just yet...

I feel sitting down and having a chat is important...good luck!!

All the best to you too :-)
4kids3dogs

Post by 4kids3dogs »

Hi All,

We too are just outside catchment but do have one daughter currently at LGGS and one about to start in September. I believe the way the system works is that all girls with LA postcodes who pass the test are automatically offered a place then the remaining places are offered to those who live outside the catchment and also passed quite well. A key criterion is how far outside the catchment you are: if you are just over the line (as we are) then your chances are much better. I know there are several LGGS pupils from Garstang and Preston so it is by no means impossible to get in if you live that far away. We also suspect that they set the 'pass mark' of the test to make sure that they do have places available for those outside the catchment because they want to be able to offer places to the brightest girls irrespective of where they live.

Our advice for preparing for the test is to work with your daughter yourself. You know her the best of anyone and can give her the most attention. Some books we found particularly useful were the Bond series on "How to do 11+...". These cover the required syllabus in a simple way. There are also simple tests to assess what your daughter knows and doesn't know so you can then concentrate on the appropriate areas. We found that a lot of the syllabus had not yet been covered at school, so we had to do quite a lot of explaining. Closer to the date of the exam we got our girls (poor things) to do sample papers on their own, from various books, not timed at first then later timed. We saved the old LGGS papers until the end.

We also used a tutorial service, just a couple of hours twice a month from spring/summer of the year of the test. However we didn't rely on their assessments. We did talk to the school before entering for the test to get their opinion - we didn't want to put them through the hassle and stress (and it is stressful, for children AND parents) without knowing they had a decent chance.

We also made it as clear as we could that IT DIDN'T MATTER if they didn't pass! We'd love them just as much either way! And we didn't sign them up for it without their agreement to give it a go. And we promised them a special treat immediately after the test.

We have a younger daughter (aged 8) who might be doing the test in a few years if LGGS seems a good option for her. I think the only thing we would do different is to start working with her a little earlier. Probably a year before the test, just a couple of hours now and then. With the others we left it a bit late, which meant they probably felt a bit of pressure.

Hope this account of our experiences is some help. Good luck with it. We found it really rewarding doing 11+ study with our girls. And if they don't pass, or if they do and you don't take up an offer of a place, at least their Maths and English have had a good boost.
Facedcomic

Post by Facedcomic »

HI 4kids3dogs,

I'd just like to say thank you for this very detailed and honest post. Very valuable. From talking to other parents I also get the feeling that LGGS do their best to let in the girls that pass well. Your advice has made me feel a little less worried although I agree it can be stressful at times.

For us it was more stressful at the beginning when both my daughter and I didn't fully understand what was involved. There is the tendency to over work. As such, the only advice I would add is to draw up a timetable. Once we put together a timetable we both realised that we could actually do less work each week and still achieve our goal. She has now really taken responsibility for her work and is very aware of what she has to do each week. Although, this probably has very much to do with her personality. I agree with starting earlier and I've started earlier with my son, so hopefully he will have an easier time...

Just one question, where did you get hold of the old LGGS papers?

Once again thank you for the advice.
4kids3dogs

Post by 4kids3dogs »

The hardest thing is probably to get the balance right. The more preparation you do the more pressure is applied, the more stressful it becomes and the more upsetting for your daughter if she doesn't pass.....

You get old LGGS papers in the admissions information booklet from the school.
Good luck.
Facedcomic

Post by Facedcomic »

Thank you!
Facedcomic

Post by Facedcomic »

For what it's worth she got in. She is really looking forward to going. Going through it again with son for LRGS!! Totally different. He can do the work but would rather do a headstand on the sofa!! :-) The sport at LRGS would be good for him. Good luck to everybody this year!!