Registration for Admissions test for CH and NHGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
turnitdown

Registration for Admissions test for CH and NHGS

Post by turnitdown »

Hello,

I'm new to the process and new to the forum. I have, today, registered my son for the test, on-line. I understood that you are supposed to receive acknowledgement of this, and I haven't yet. Does anyone know if you do?

Thanks,
mitasol

Re: Registration for Admissions test for CH and NHGS

Post by mitasol »

Hi Turnitdown,

Welcome! It is a whole new system this year so I'm not sure of the procedure but I found the following.
Parents can register their daughter/son for the admissions test by completing an on-line registration form from either of the school websites or by downloading the form or requesting a hard copy of the form and sending it back to the school. On-line applications will be acknowledged. Postal applications will require a stamped addressed envelope for acknowledgement

It may take a while for the schools to process the applications but if you're still worried you can give them a ring.
turnitdown

Post by turnitdown »

Many thanks. I will leave it a week or so and then call them. The start of a journey!
turnitdown

Post by turnitdown »

I received an e-mail today saying:
"Thank you for your application for your son or daughter to sit the Entrance Tests for the Halifax Grammar Schools.

This email is to acknowledge receipt of your application."

So that's good. I only hope I spelt everything right on the on-line form because it doesn't let you look at it before it's submitted and it's a few pages.
panicmum

Post by panicmum »

Hi, turnitdown. I also registered on-line did not receive the acknowledgement straight away and began to worry, received same email has you today. :D
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Glad it has come through. :D
fifi

Post by fifi »

I've also registered DD and have had the e-mail.
Just wanted to say 'hi'! Here's to the long journey ahead :wink:
Has anyone else started preparing? At the moment I'm trying to get her to practice a few questions regularly, and she's done well, but I haven't wanted to push her into doing too much for fear that she'll either get bored or it'll frighten her. How does anyone else facing the exam feel?
turnitdown

Post by turnitdown »

Hi!

I feel quite overwhelmed by it, as I feel he needs to practise but want him to have a restful/playful weekend too. We've been looking at papers for VR and Maths, once a week. Some of the VR question types are a problem, so I'm going to focus on those areas now. The GL assessment papers are a little long and daunting for him. I might switch to on-line practice for a while to make it varied for him.

Thanks for the replies so far. Any support is really appreciated. I'm wondering if mock exams have any value (they seem costly) and when would be an ideal time for one. x
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Have you seen Patrica's DIY thread? All the papers would be suitable for Calderdale and they are listed in order of difficulty. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =12&t=4782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
turnitdown

Post by turnitdown »

That's great, thanks. I will work to something like this. We have stopped practising the GL assessment papers now, because at 80 at a time, he was becoming worn out and fed up. We did start on the Bond papers, which he was fine with. We will build it up more gradually, doing practice papers from this website, concentrating on tackling all the different question types week by week.

Do all 21 question types come up in the Calderdale VR exam? Thanks again.