Can someone remind me why the S. Daughtry technique books...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Manana

Can someone remind me why the S. Daughtry technique books...

Post by Manana »

...are not particularly recommended for the Essex exam? I thought I read that on here, but I have had no less than three people in the last five days tell me that these are the books to buy! Am I missing out by not having these-did I misunderstand?

This is the one people keep recommending to me, though I had a feeling there were four of them?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbal-Reasonin ... 993&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have the Bright Sparks ones which are also by her, but if someone could tell me how they differ (and if there are 4 of them that I must buy this minute?) I would be very grateful!
Reading Mum

Re: Can someone remind me why the S. Daughtry technique book

Post by Reading Mum »

SD books 1 - 4 contain 35 plus types of VR question which is more than some counties use so you might be learning stuff you don't need
ahap

Post by ahap »

Manana, Bright Sparks is the one you need for Essex.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
seriousmum

Post by seriousmum »

Two silly questions: does the bright sparks series contain all 21 types in thier entirety or just a majority of them; and is "arranging words in alphabetical order" one of the 21 types? I seem to recall my son doin a lot of these in his bond VR a while back.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

SD Bright Sparks test papers contain the 21 question types.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/9 ... ack-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/9 ... ack-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Arranging words in alphabetical order is not one of the 21 types.
seriousmum

Post by seriousmum »

Thanks!
madintheattic

Post by madintheattic »

Does anyone know if this type of question counts as type 21?

My dustbin is black. My rubbish collection is on Thursdays.

Which statement must be true?
a) all black dustbins are emptied on Thursdays
b) my dustbin is emptied on Thursdays
c) Thursday is a convenient day for rubbish collection
d) My black dustbin is rubbish

It crops up now and then but I'm not sure if it's the same type of logic used in other type 21 questions...
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

It is a very, very elementary version of Type Z, one of the 21 types. On GL papers they are considerably more convoluted than that!
lastminutemum

Post by lastminutemum »

Hi Manana I somehow acquired one/two of these books and although not necessarily recommended either for our area, I found that they were useful in teaching/attempting at the beginning, those types that our area used.
My DC found it difficult at first to find the hidden word for example as well as some of the other more common types. I found using these helped with familiarisation and then when we attempted IPS papers I was getting a more accurate view of accuracy rather than DC not knowing how to answer the question.
I used some IPS tests early on because they were shorter and then we moved on to longer ones and then I mixed them up a bit.
If after attempting a test paper at the beginning of our time, I found there was a weakness in a type of question, I went back the SD book I had and found the same type to use if we had not already. If I had not already been given the book I would not have bought it, however it was useful at the beginning.

We did not start until July/Aug with the first exam in Oct. A bit late I know. We were surprised but very happy to get our first choice school, so this approach must have been useful for my DC.Good luck.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now