sitting the 11plus without going to a grammar school?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

justhorne

sitting the 11plus without going to a grammar school?

Post by justhorne »

This might sound really silly, but my daughter thinks that she wants to sit the 11 plus but isnt really bothered about going to a grammar school. Can she do this? Do other kids do this? Advice appreciated!
Reading Mum

Re: sitting the 11plus without going to a grammar school?

Post by Reading Mum »

I would have to ask why.
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

Of course you could do it. Your daughter could sit the exam and then if she is offered a grammar place, turn it down. But like Reading Mum I would have to ask why?
Storm

Post by Storm »

My DS is sitting the 11+ without being 100% certain that he will be aiming for the grammar. At the moment we need to assume that he will want to go to the Grammar school and prepare accordingly. However I believe in keeping all options open for as long as possible and we will be looking around all options again and probably again before making our final decision!
Orson

Post by Orson »

Although it's rare this does happen...and why not?
Some people want to keep their options open but choose their local comp or a fee-paying school in the end.

(I sat - and passed - the 11+ in late 1978 with no intention of going to grammar school. I simply wanted to prove I could do it).
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Orson wrote:Some people want to keep their options open but choose their local comp or a fee-paying school in the end.
Indeed! DD passed the 11+ in 2010 but we chose the local comp in the end (a very good one, it has to be said 8) ), as we felt it suited her better than the nearest GS in the next Borough.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

It is really common in our part of the country. The school I applied for - 20 people sat and passed the 11+ but didn't apply for a place. I know 3 of them - 2 chose a comp and 1 an indie. If she wants to do it I'd encourage it - the experience can never be taken away and you are keeping your options open.
daughter

Post by daughter »

Just to add another angle after much consideration we decided DD should not sit the 11+ as we had no intention of sending her to the GS as there was a school we preffered.
Our reasons (for not sitting) were that it was a superselective so v. difficult to gain a place - if she had gained a place it would have just added further confusion when really we knew it was not the school we wanted. If she had not gained a place it always would have felt like a slight "fail" and perhaps dented her confidence. Lastly we felt that if our views/circumstances ever changed in the future and we wanted her to go to the GS - a prior fail (or offered but turned down place) may have affected her chances of gaining a place.
Of course it is each to their own - but we are very happy with our decision (and no change of mind/circumstances as yet!).
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I can understand this - we got DS to take the 11+ despite not intending to take the place This was partly so that he could feel just the same as his sisters and also to make him do more work than is required in year 6 usually.