"The Tutors" Papers

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Manny0311

"The Tutors" Papers

Post by Manny0311 »

My DS has now moved on to the tutors papers, finishing the 50 Q papers on IPS and did the first one yesterday. How close are these to the GL papers ?
I found IPS tricky in parts and DS averaged 80% on them. He just scored 79/80 on the tutors !

I was shocked !
patricia

Re: "The Tutors" Papers

Post by patricia »

The Tutors are of a medium difficulty. Take a look at the following thread.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =12&t=4782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patricia
Manny0311

Post by Manny0311 »

Thanks Patricia

Basically I made him do it in 2 parts...1st 40 in 25mins then the 2nd half in 25mins..

Shall I continue like that for the next couple ?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Personally I get my children to complete in one sitting.

They have already sat several of my own "mini" tests followed by IPS 50 question tests, it is therefore a natural progression to the 80 question tests.

May I ask why you are completing so much extra work when your child already attends a tution centre? You seem to be doing OK by yourself...

Patricia
Manny0311

Post by Manny0311 »

Patricia

So many people ask me the same thing....but there's nothing better than doing one on one with them, going through mistakes, further examples etc.. is there ??

People say i'm mad !

I just find that in these big classes, they're just another number for their business. They don't individualise children. In SD's classes I have only ever seen her once teach the class.

I just want to to do the best I can from my personal view point and just crosss check eveything.

I'd like to think I'm making progress with him....before he takes 2 steps back again..lol
patricia

Post by patricia »

Then perhaps you should give up the group tuition and go down th DIY route.

You are obviously doing a good job! There are plenty of people on this forum willing to help.

Patricia
Orson

Post by Orson »

Patricia is right - ditch the group tuition. It's not money well spent.
Your DIY alongside guidance from this website and its various contributors will be perfectly adequate.
lulu1408

Post by lulu1408 »

I'm home tutoring too and it sometimes gets a bit frustrating fitting all else in but DD is really keen so that somewhat makes it manageable :-) . We are late starters and only at stage 3 of Patricia's very helpful guidance. I am also letting DS attempt all 50 questions and she is doing including type Z on her own all within 30 minutes. Only problems we are encountering are vocabulary based (Type Q,R, S). Does anyone have any tips/ideas for books I can get to improve DD's vocabulary?
lulu1408

Post by lulu1408 »

Manny0311 wrote:
I just find that in these big classes, they're just another number for their business. They don't individualise children. In SD's classes I have only ever seen her once teach the class.
Hi Manny0311, Thanks for this tip as I was on the verge of signing DD up at SD's in the summer for a few weeks.
Manny0311

Post by Manny0311 »

lulu1408 wrote:
Manny0311 wrote:
Hi Manny0311, Thanks for this tip as I was on the verge of signing DD up at SD's in the summer for a few weeks.
Hi Lulu1408 - don't get me wrong, they're probably very good but I just feel you can't beat that extra one on one with them. Maybe a refresher over the summer isn't a bad idea !
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now