Junior Mathematical Challenge

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ConcernedDad

Junior Mathematical Challenge

Post by ConcernedDad »

Just wondering whether anyone's DC appeared for Junior Maths Challenge yesterday.

http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/individ ... challenge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My DD's school told us on Monday that she can appear for this exam which seems to be meant for Year 8 and Year 7 kids. DD says that the school did not get enough takers from Year 7 and 8, and therefore requested about 15 kids from Year 6 also to appear for the exam :)
Samlet

Re: Junior Mathematical Challenge

Post by Samlet »

My DS did it. He is year 7 and he said that the whole year 7 took it, along with the top two sets of year 8. They are taking maths exams this week to set for maths in Y8, so I think they partly use it as an extra sorting tool.

He finished it all and is quite excited about the possibility of a certificate - fingers crossed.
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

My DS also sat the challenge instead of history lesson, was an hour long. Top 1000 get a certificate I think..
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

Paramjeet wrote:My DS also sat the challenge instead of history lesson, was an hour long. Top 1000 get a certificate I think..
According to the website (please see the quote below), top 40% of students get some kind of certificate. I read some where else that about 80,000 to 90,000 students appear for this. Top 1200 get to participate in the Maths Olympiad - which is a very high achievement I reckon.

DD is in Year 6, and therefore it is only for fun :). Btw, the website now has both the question paper, and solution set. So, you can get your DCs to check how many they got right :)
UK Mathematics Trust wrote: High Performers
The top 40% of students nationally receive a gold, silver or bronze certificate in the ratio 1:2:3 and each institution receives a Best in School certificate. Around 1200 of the highest scorers are invited to participate in the Junior Mathematical Olympiad.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

DD also sat it yesterday. She's in year 7 and just the top maths set sat it. When do the results come out?
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

bondgirl wrote:DD also sat it yesterday. She's in year 7 and just the top maths set sat it. When do the results come out?
DD's school said that the results will be out in about 4 weeks.

Both questions and answers are already on the net. So, maybe DD can figure out which ones she got right!

I found a few questions to be rather tough.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Some Y5 and Y6s do this as it's not about knowledge.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I found out , in passing, that my children had got gold in this challenge....they didn't think it was worth mentioning............
moved

Post by moved »

DD's school made a big thing of this. DS didn't even collect his certificate in year 7 as he didn't make it to the Olympiad. I am hoping that my able group took the challenge on Thursday. I had handed over papers and instructions to my successor. Fingers crossed.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Any tips for encouraging a cautious child to attempt the majority of the questions, rather than be put off by the fact that he might lose a few points by doing so?!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now