maybe silly but...

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

menagerie

maybe silly but...

Post by menagerie »

I'm starting to fret already about colds, flu and exams.
I'm posting this in indie section as we are sitting for indies, and unlike grammars, they all seem to hold their exams in the first week of Jan.

This year my son had no overt signs of a virus but for the whole of january his marks dropped horrendously (down from 80s and 90s to, at lowest, 35% on a comprehension.) He seemed to have some low level bug that took the edge off his performance. All his school teachers remarked on it too.

Does anyone have any wise tips on how to avoid this happening. Nutrition? Exercise? Supplements?

We're hosting a huge family party at New Year with people from all over the country and I'm fretting already that he'll contract some bug that floors him just when the exams crop up.

Does anyone know much about warding off colds. I've had a look online but it seems pretty bog standard stuff: wash your hands, take vitamins, eat fish.

Any tips on how to keep the DC bug free over the holiday season so they're in peak condition for exams would be really appreciated. Thank you.
hermanmunster

Re: maybe silly but...

Post by hermanmunster »

Cancel the party and live in a bubble for 3 weeks before hand? :wink:
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

There must be a procedure to follow in case of sickness. There will always be some children who are ill on the day of the test. They should get a chance to sit the test later when they are better.
dreams

Post by dreams »

This year we did the same mistake. Couple of our friends with children (3 years old mainly) have come to spend New Year and few weeks after with us. Some of them stayed at our house. First of all, we couldn't work at the same pace as before. Second, one child brought a gift - some sort of virus. And ooops, few days before the exam my DD has got a high temperature and all nasty things you could imagine. If I could change smth.in the past I wouldn't invite them.
dreams

Post by dreams »

suzanne wrote:There must be a procedure to follow in case of sickness. There will always be some children who are ill on the day of the test. They should get a chance to sit the test later when they are better.
There is actually. But here's my personal experience:) DD was experiencing a very high temperature for few days before the exam. On the exam day in the morning the temperature was normal, so we decided to go. But after exam and few days later she was sick. So - no grammar school place for us. But consortium exam went very well, DD was il the mood, healthy and happy.
dlb

Post by dlb »

It will be pot luck whether they get ill before the exam!!! I don't think there will be much you can do to prevent the chance of catching anything!! I took my DC out of school day before school entrance exams just to chillax. For one of them, he had really bad tonsillitis which started the 36 hours before exam. He still insisted on sitting the exam on that day and not at a later date because he didn't want to sit it alone- we just dosed him up!
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
MrsB

Post by MrsB »

During October and November, expose your DC to every bug going, then by January, they will be immune?
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Mrs B, that's not a bad idea!

Can't cancel the party. It's my sister's 50th and I was expected to take DC away to some damp cottage in the lakes for a week at hideous expense to attend the party there. Get ill and broke. So I offered to host the party.

My immediate family takes a very dim view of selective education, so I couldn't explain. Hosting at least means DC will only be around a zillion lurgies for a couple of hours, and can still sleep in own beds and do practise papers except for that one night.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Not silly at all! I would say make sure he has plenty of sleep, lots of good hearty, healthy meals and give him a vitamin C supplement. I'm not sure if the vitamin supplement works but it makes me feel as though I am doing something to help. Then keep your fingers, toes, legs, arms and eyes crossed! :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now