Is there a Maths 'Syllabus' for 11+

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
toolate

Is there a Maths 'Syllabus' for 11+

Post by toolate »

DH has decided to take on the maths part (hurray!). He is asking me if there is a specific syllabus. We have just been working our way through Bond books, but clearly he would like a slightly more methodical approach.

Does anyone know if there is a list of topics that definitely need to be covered lurking somewhere on this forum?

Or perhaps another way of looking at it - can we dispense with Matrices, Vectors, Simultaneous & Quadratic equations, Trigonometry etc.

Thanks Toolate
stevew61

Re: Is there a Maths 'Syllabus' for 11+

Post by stevew61 »

toolate wrote: Does anyone know if there is a list of topics that definitely need to be covered lurking somewhere on this forum?

Or perhaps another way of looking at it - can we dispense with Matrices, Vectors, Simultaneous & Quadratic equations, Trigonometry etc.

Thanks Toolate
Content varies by area, we used this as a checklist.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/free-1 ... ision-aids" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
can we dispense with Matrices, Vectors, Simultaneous & Quadratic equations, Trigonometry etc.
We did but our exam was defined by KS2, so basic algebra was as tough as it got.
moved

Post by moved »

From memory you are in Essex. If so, then the whole of the level 5 curriculum is probably necessary. Fast, accurate arithmetic, mean, pie and bar charts, use of measures including the ability to convert among different metric measures, i.e. cm^3 to litres, etc. there is an emphasis on mathematical insight and bringing different areas of maths together.

Hope this helps.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Any KS2 revision guide will cover all the topics you need to know. Most schools do not complete the KS2 syllabus before the 11 plus entrance exams in their area, this is also true of English. It is worth asking your teacher what major KS2 topics have not yet been covered. If you do some past papers for the school you are aiming for, you will soon find out what your dc does not know. I have been amazed by what some dc's on top table in the summer term of Year Five do not know. When I was working with my dds I did every paper with them which has proved to be very useful and to start with there were a few topics I had to brush up on. Converting between measures and being able to convert between imperial and metric is crucial. Ratios, Angles, percentages and fractions, especially sorting fractions in order are on every paper in our area. DG
moved

Post by moved »

Essex doesn't seem to convert between metric and imperial, at least I can't think of a single question.

A few problems from the junior maths challenge also help. I use the Manchester Grammar papers for support with problem solving.
toolate

Post by toolate »

Yes - we are doing the Essex exams - thanks Moved.

Thanks for all of the helpful replies. I will try to track down a KS2 syllabus. I am assuming for sure that they need to know more than they will have been taught (or retained) at school. I hadn't seen the revision pages on this site before - very helpful for both English and Maths.
moved

Post by moved »

As DG said, I would go through as many past papers as you can. Bond fourth papers are useful, if you are aiming for the north Essex grammars I would recommend fifth too. Schofield and Sims short work books too for mental arithmetic. I made all of my pupils learn their tables reallly well, about 1.5 seconds a sum is my usual target!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You can pick up KS2 revision guides from W H Smiths or on Amazon or ebay or the forum shop might stock one. The BBC Bitzesize website is also good. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now