Verbal Reasoning

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Silhouette

Verbal Reasoning

Post by Silhouette »

Dear Patricia,

Can you tell me if their is an error on question 10 of GL assessment test paper 6 - Verbal Reasoning pack 2, namely:

A=3, B=6, C=8, D=9, E=12

E /(divide) C x B + A = E

Many thanks
faitaccompli

Re: Verbal Reasoning

Post by faitaccompli »

A=3, B=6, C=8, D=9, E=12

E /(divide) C x B + A = E

12 / 8 = 1.5 x 6 = 9 + 3 = 12

There are no brackets so assume that the c x b is not (c x b)?
Silhouette

Post by Silhouette »

Thanks but what I am puzzled about is, without a calculator 12/8 would be 1 r4. only making answer 11.4 and under the rules of being smaller than 5, you should not round up to 12. Is there something I am forgetting?

Your feedback would be most helpful as I did work it out without the brackets originally and thought something was wrong.

Regards
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I would expect an 11+ candidate to be able to divide 12/8 and get 1.5 without use of a calculator
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Though I have to say that I've never seen this question type use fractions, only whole numbers!
Marylou
Silhouette

Post by Silhouette »

Thank-you Reading Mum, your comment is duly noted. Perhaps you can share with me if you have frequently come across these type of question.

Thank-you Marylou. I was hoping that this was indeed not the norm. When my DD saw it, it threw her and was unsure of what to do, although she is very good at these.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Marylou wrote:Though I have to say that I've never seen this question type use fractions, only whole numbers!
Me neither - but then we haven't done many papers yet. My comment was simply that I would hope someone aiming at a GS could take this level of mental maths in their stride.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Just off the top of my head, I think this is the only question to use fractions on any of the mainstream practice materials.
Silhouette

Post by Silhouette »

Many thanks for the feedback. Usually she sails through these no probs as her mental maths is very strong. Ofcourse seeing something that you are not familar with in this type all of question would be a surprise.

Regards
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

If it was in GL paper 6 VR then mine did it without a problem and he is bog standard average at doing these tests. Can't check for sure as I have given all the old papers to a friend for her son - but I tend to remember the ones we had to go over and this one does not stand out.