What chance of grammar school place if in Whitstable?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MMMum

What chance of grammar school place if in Whitstable?

Post by MMMum »

My child will go into Year 5 next year, so inevitably we are starting to think about the Kent test. He is bright enough to pass (I hope!), but fairly lazy and would require a lot of cajoling to put in the study hours. My concern is that I hear a lot of Whitstable children who pass the test still don't get a grammar school place, because of the distance requirement...but I don't have a sense of the scale of this problem. It's hard to judge whether we should put him through the test process, if his chances of a grammar school are slim despite passing...what are other people's experiences please?
frustrated

Re: What chance of grammar school place if in Whitstable?

Post by frustrated »

It is very different every year, MMMum.

This year, I believe that almost every child in the Canterbury/Herne Bay/Whitstable/Swalecliffe area got their grammar school of choice. Last year, as far as I know, children in the Canterbury/Herne Bay/ Whitstable/Swalecliffe area who wanted one all got a grammar school place, but not necessarily their first choice. The year before that however, there was a number of children in Whitstable, Canterbury and Herne Bay who didn't get a grammar school place at all despite passing the Kent Test (my ds was one of them), but I believe that all those who appealed managed to secure one eventually.

As you can see, it is very difficult to predict. I would suggest registering your ds for the test anyway, and seeing how it all goes. You just can't predict his chances of getting a grammar school place based on the past few years.

Good luck :)
MMMum

Post by MMMum »

Thanks for that, it's very helpful. I didn't realise that it changes so much from year to year. Just out of interest, how do you get to find these things out? Is there somewhere you can go for the facts and figures?
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

No, I don't get them from anywhere special! My son was one of the children a few years back who didn't get a grammar school place at all, and I know he wasn't the only one then because I queried it with KCC.

I am specualting on the previous two years - last year, friends whose children passed told me that they got a grammar school place, but not always their first choice, and this year everyone I have spoken to so far has achieved their first choice grammar, as have other people in their networks. There are no hard facts that I have access to across the board I'm afraid.

There really is no way of predicting admission outcomes or even pass marks, as that changes year on year too, so all I can really say is, register for the test, let him have a go when the time comes and see what happens.

There are lots of opportunties for practice - papers, classes etc (there is one near you!) if you want to do that.

Good luck with your 11+ journey :D
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

I suspect the places will be more difficult next year when Simon Langton Boys goes superselective. Will put alot of pressure on the remaining option for boys in Canterbury, Barton Court.

Not sure how Chatham House and Danecourt faired this year, whether they remained over subscribed and what their catchments were like.
jingle

Post by jingle »

Is QE Grammar in Faversham one of the catchment schools for Whitstable children? Not sure myself, but have heard very good things about it
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Yes, it certainly is
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now