KS3 SATs levels

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

onlyson

KS3 SATs levels

Post by onlyson »

I'm slightly confused about these because I've noticed that there are KS3 revision maths books both in levels 3-6 and 5-8. Are the levels the same in KS2 and KS3? I was just wondering what level my son might be at when he starts yr7. At the end of yr5,he was a level 5a in maths and he'll be doing his SATs in the next couple of weeks. I was thinking of buying the collins revision KS3 revision guide (so his brain doesn't calcify during the summer) but I'm really not sure which to buy :? :?
Guest55

Re: KS3 SATs levels

Post by Guest55 »

Don't buy either as they will not prepare for the new KS3 curriculum.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is not going to change that radically! There is a limit to how different it can be. Everything my dd's have just learnt in Y7 and Y8 is not about to become obsolete! I would get the 5-8 book, also I would recommend Brodie Get Ready for Year 7 and Bond Get Ready for Secondary School maths and English. Also Smiths have a great Year 7 Maths book. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If these are revision books they will have been written for the 'old' test four years ago - so the old curriculum.

The changes have already happened for those currently in KS3 so they are ready for the new GCSE.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I have been using them all year and everything covered in class is in these books. Which new elements might they be missing? If those in KS3 are already covering it surely some publishers will have moved quickly and brought out new editions? Thanks DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They do not cover the new-style approach ie the 'functional' approach. The questions are far too structured and not set in unfamiliar context to test application.

Publishers have not updated because many schools don't do the KS3 tests now they are optional ie there is no market!
sjb_uk

Post by sjb_uk »

Regards the curriculum and the books I have no idea but I suggest 1+1=2 and would expect the same no matter what the curriculum changes to.

Our dd is 11 and very strong in maths. She is currently working through Level 3-6 and there is enough to challenge her. Does it help her prepare for KS3, definitely provided the fundamentals of maths don't change.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

new curriculum or not, relax and enjoy the holiday.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

As a maths teacher I am saying beware - maths is not arithmetic!
Amber

Post by Amber »

yoyo123 wrote:new curriculum or not, relax and enjoy the holiday.
I second this. Please don't make your child do Maths over the summer holidays. :(
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now