GL Assessment Practice Papers.

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scarlett

GL Assessment Practice Papers.

Post by scarlett »

Does anyone know if there is a difference in the difficulty level between the GL Assessment practice papers ?

DS2 did really well in the maths familiarisation paper 1 , but only scored 40 % in the familiarisation paper 5 .I'm hoping number 5 is more difficult . It does vaguely look it and seemed to have more sneaky / tricky questions .

I feel a bit eugh now....trying to boost DS up and told him he scored 50 % instead ....so someone please tell me it was the hardest paper in the world .Please. :)
Muggle

Re: GL Assessment Practice Papers.

Post by Muggle »

Hi Scarlett,

I remember the GL second pack is MUCH, MUCH harder than the first.
twinmum2001

Post by twinmum2001 »

I have just taken a look at how my boys have done with their practice papers and yes now I agree that the second packs of both GL English and Maths papers presented one of my sons with bigger challenges than the first packs.

I thought that perhaps he was not focused, and not making progress- but now I wonder whether my eyes have been opened!!

He found maths paper 7 the hardest though.
My other son found paper 5 the hardest dropping over 15-20% on his normal marks.

So which represent a more accurate practice paper?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well, I'm guessing that you will never find an exactly representative paper so it's hard to say. In Kent it seems like a raw score of around 50% is around about a pass, and a raw score of 75% is around about a top mark. So maybe practising harder papers is better as it gives you more practice in the technique of guessing the questions you can't do, and being accurate on the questions that you can do.

Practice papers on which you got 90% plus every time would not be such good practice for the real thing. Also tough practice papers help you identify the areas you need to practise.

So maybe it's more a case of trying to view the overall score rather differently and looking at each question and each paper as a learning experience.
twinmum2001

Post by twinmum2001 »

The raw scores have reassured me.

We have been using the GL assessment packs 1 and 2 for Maths and English as we have been told that that the school we are applying for uses GL Papers.

My sons' raw scores range from one who is scoring 63%+ whilst the other 78%+, but we had no idea if that was enough as some of the websites say they will need to score a standardised score of 121+ or 133+???

They are the oldest in their year group too.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Have you tried the Bond books 10-11 ? They seem to be similar to the GLA papers. You're in Dorset ? What does your section say ? I think Bustwinks is from your area..not sure if she is around ?

I've got papers 1 and 5 ...but am going to get the ones in between for the next few weeks..will keep you posted :)
twinmum2001

Post by twinmum2001 »

No in Plymouth.

We used Bond Assessment papers up until last 6 months, they are good yes. School sent us info saying GL were their exam board.

Do you feel prepared?

Is your child sitting a mock? Soon?

Ours is on the 7th July.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I feel prepared with the VR and NVR but not so with the maths .I'm not thinking of putting DS in for any mock tests and we're in Kent so don't need a massively high score to pass . What about you ?
twinmum2001

Post by twinmum2001 »

I am an ex-teacher, and my sons are very academic. Thankfully they love school (unlike my daughter- but hoping that will change!).

We have been able to have a teacher-child relationship as well as parent-child over the years, which has made me tutoring them possible. Probably because I was their teacher (albeit on a a jobshare with another) for almost 3 years.

I feel like all the work we have put in should be preparing them nicely. One of my sons has made progress on his test results with an improvement of over 25-30% on last year. Whilst the other in the last month has started to deliver less and less success. Not too sure why, could be the pressure? Could be the competition from his twin? Could be he is bored???

Whatever the reason he is starting to lose confidence in himself, just in time for their mock next week!

He needs a huge confidence boost.

Like I have said before we have no idea what percentage they need to be achieving on these practice papers, obviously higher the better we know that! With the 11+ brought forward I am assuming the range of marks will lower slightly as all of the entrants will have less time to cover the curriculum etc.

We are just hoping so much that they are both successful as for us DHSB is the right place for them. They work so hard at school and they want to do well with their studies, they have very high expectations of themselves, their attitude suits grammar school education.

We will have to just keep everything crossed!

You say that to achieve a pass score in Kent it is lower than other areas?....do you have lots of choice of Grammar Schools then? I know of some areas where they have to get around 90% correct on their amalgamation of scores to be allocated a place... Now that would be very daunting.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

We do have quite a few grammars here in Kent...DS2 will hopefully have the choice of one which requires a basic pass, one ( which his brother goes to ) which needs a slightly higher pass mark and then 2 super selectives .We also have a church school which is over subscribed and performs at practically the same level as the Grammars ..that's plan B ! and plan C would make me shed a few tears , but I think he would be ok.

We find out each year from Kent C ounty Council what scores were needed to pass , get the top mark etc. Is there anywhere you can find out that sort of info ? If not , as you say , then it's just a case of getting them to score as highly as possible and then hope for the best !

Perhaps your DS is having slight burn out ? Is he the same academically as his brother ? Is he feeling a bit despondent ? Mine has had a bit of a meltdown and doesn't seem to be doing so well ...he is asking lots of questions and is a bit anxious I think. You just need to keep talking and then possess good verbal reasoning skills yourself to separate from what they say to what they really mean !
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now