Change of Admission Critera

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bustwinks

Change of Admission Critera

Post by bustwinks »

Having decided that we will most probably put our DS through the 11 plus process, I decided to have a quick look through the admissions policy, as it has changed this year.

So I have discovered that not only are they taking the exam 2 months earlier than in previous years, but also the 1st 120 pupils with the highest mark get in then the remainding 30 go to incatchment kids.....any remaining places going to out of catchment :evil: this has never happened before it was always the 1st 150 boys....end off....didn't matter where you live.

Also they know what their score is and whether they passed or not....but not if they have place.....so mean if he actually passes and then dosen't get a place....the injustice of it all just dosen't seem fair......

Sorry rant over...I'm off to have a cup of tea and drown my sorrows in this rain :(
suzanne

Re: Change of Admission Critera

Post by suzanne »

which school is it?
bustwinks

Post by bustwinks »

Hi sorry its Bournemouth Grammmar School.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Deep breaths Bustwinks!!

First of all remember all the lads are in the same boat doing the exam early - none have had more time to plan for it.
Some parts of the country have been doing the exam in early sept for years and it is OK.

I had a look at the admissions policy - this is 2013 - is this the one you were looking at
i.Eligible boys who are looked after children or previously looked after children;
ii. 120 places will assigned to boys who scored most highly in the entrance tests, in rank order of the entrance test scores, with those boys obtaining the highest scores given higher priority;
iii. Of the remaining eligible boys, those who live within the Borough of Bournemouth will be ranked next, in order of the entrance test scores, with those boys obtaining the highest scores given higher priority;
iv. The remaining eligible boys (i.e. those who live outside the Borough of Bournemouth) will be ranked in order of
Slightly oddly written! Could fill all the places on highest scorers then catchment - are you in or out of catchment?
bustwinks

Post by bustwinks »

Hi hermanmunster, thanks for your quick responce....I am breathing deeply now.
Yes that is exactly the policy I was looking at :D
Could fill all the places on highest scorers then catchment
this is exactly what I thought....we are out of catchment :(

When my DD took the exam 2 years ago we didn't have this problem :?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

bustwinks wrote:Hi hermanmunster, thanks for your quick responce....I am breathing deeply now.
Yes that is exactly the policy I was looking at :D
Could fill all the places on highest scorers then catchment
this is exactly what I thought....we are out of catchment :(

When my DD took the exam 2 years ago we didn't have this problem :?
Ugh - just have to make sure he is the top 120... :oops: - how many usually take the test?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Oh poor you Bustwinks...just to add to the pressure and stress. I was wondering too how many take the test... do you think he could make the 120 ?
bustwinks

Post by bustwinks »

Right I have done some digging......

429 boys took the test last year
188 met the criteria ( I presume that means passed!)
150 got in

Blimey he is going to have his work cut out :roll:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

We know Master Bustwinks can do it ! :D :D :D
bustwinks

Post by bustwinks »

Thankyou scarlett :lol:

But looking at those figures from last year...there were those poor 38 kids who passed but didn't get in. :cry: :cry:

......... does anyone know if there is an 11plus app for you get for the ipod.....as this is what he spends most of his time doing :evil: