SATs levels at end of year 3 etc.

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fatbananas

SATs levels at end of year 3 etc.

Post by fatbananas »

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what are the average expected levels for end of year 3? If end of KS1 national average is supposed to be a 2b, what would be the expectation for end of year 3? And if the student got a 3 at the end of KS1, what would be the expected level at the end of year 3?

I'm a bit confused by all the different number of sub-levels DC are expected to move up. And I wondered, also, if year 3 is a 'strange' year because I'm told by DS's teachers that a level 3 at the end of KS1 is a different sort of level 3 than a KS2 level 3 :? .

I remember a similar sort of conversation with regards to a level 5 at the end of KS2 being different to a level 5 at the beginning of KS3 but I didn't pay enough attention to it at the time because I wasn't anywhere near that stage, and now wish I had because I can't remember the rationale!

Any enlightenment for my middle-aged brain would be great!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
scarlett

Re: SATs levels at end of year 3 etc.

Post by scarlett »

Middle aged Bananas ??? :shock: I thought that was around 60 these days...I'm sure you're younger than that !

On my DD Spring report it said.........

Level 2b represents achievement below nationally expected standard for most pupils at the end of year 3

Levels 2a and 3c represents achievement at the nationally expected standard for most pupils at the end of year3

Level 3b and above represents achievement above the nationally expected standard for most pupils at the end of year 3.

Hopefully that's right ! :)
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Age spots and smelling quite strongly - definitely middle aged Bananas :mrgreen:

Thanks for that Scarlett. Was just trying to calculate: if GS exams are happening in Sept/ Oct from now on and DC need to have covered the whole of KS2 curriculum by the time of the exam, then there's a lot to cram in, in an even shorter time-frame than before. Because of patchy school provision, I was considering going through all the groupings of topics on those Pitch and Expectations you mentioned before, but now I'm wondering whether I should pick and choose really weak topics and topics he's not studied yet. How did you organise what you needed to cover with DS1/2, if you don't mind me asking? Am feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Mind you, that could just be the smell I mentioned.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Please ! I'm having my lunch here !

I don't think you need to worry just yet, Bananas . What weak areas have you highlighted ? and are you sure they are weak, rather then just areas he's not as good as ( yet ) if you know what I mean ? I find with all of mine when they were learning something new they seemed to forget other stuff , but then eventually it all came together.

Now, I'm sure in your library of workbooks you can find a year 3 book which will cover all the topics if we are talking about maths. Has his teacher said he needs to work on anything ? I know you are in a highly pressurised area , but I found with my 2 boys everything came together in year 4 or even year 5 and very quickly too .You might find the same . I wouldn't worry about topics he hasn't covered ....you might find he packs his spotted red hanky and leaves home ! Maybe some online games to keep it light ? ( sorry Yoyo..did I get that one in before you :P ) With the maths it is the same old things they are learning i.e fractions , multiplication, it just gets harder , so the yearly repetition will help.

To answer your question about organising with my DS when they were mid way through year 4 I started going through the maths topics from a key stage 2 book and tying them to a chair for spellings etc which they hated. Hope that helps !
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

If it helps, all of mine stagnated in year 3 - having got level 3s at KS1 they were much the same when they left year 3. I think they have to learn to stop being the babies, and act like juniors which can be (certainly was for one or two of mine) quite difficult.
Most of our problems were resolved at the start of year 4 and they came on in leaps and bounds from then on. So it's a little bit like year 7 - they've all done really well in year 6 then it seems sometimes they go back the way in year 7, but it's probably all to do with adjustment.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thank you Scarlett. I know I sound neurotic, but DS came home last night very dejected because he said he'd found his SATs maths paper hard, which sent me into anxiety overdrive. They came home last week with a school-created SATS paper for homework and I've recognised one of the questions from the pitch and expectations paper as being Yr 4 level 3, so I'm pretty confused about what he's learning. I'm sure you're right about it all needing to be gone over and over. I'm just very aware that he's borderline in his maths set and I want to support him as much as I can.

Thanks Looking for Help. I pray that's what's happening! DS's progress does seem to be fits and starts whereas other DC seem to be much more 'consistent'. Perhaps he simply takes after his mother!

Thank heavens' it's the weekend. I need tea, cake and wine in that order.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I had one who couldn't ever do the taped mental maths papers.....I think they started them in year 3 ? Every time she did one, she came out crying......all the way to year 9 :lol: (never got much more that 5 or 6 out of 20). She was very borderline in the maths department, but weirdly that was the paper she did best on in the 11+, which she passed. Still counts on her fingers at 18. She got a B at GCSE and was the happiest person in the world to leave maths behind for ever. All I ever did with her was make sure the times tables went in, and go over and over and over the maths stuff for the 11+ till I was blue in the face, and some of it must have stuck for the required amount of time. She was never top table material in maths, and I always reckoned they gave her someone else's marks :lol: Her talents lie in essay writing subjects, not maths and science :lol:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Oh, I don't think you're neurotic Bananas, just trying to say don't worry ! I was in your position with DS2 in particular, but going over it all by using those workbooks does make a huge difference and you really help your son a lot so I'm sure it will work out just fine ! What was that recent thread about the topics and examples of what your child should be able to do to reach each level ? I know I posted something on it...can't remember but it was really helpful ...sorry not much good, have a trawl back .Maybe it was something Mystery posted about maths levels ???

Re the fits and bursts I thought that was normal ? I'm sure it's not all consistent with other DC...just the impression their parents give !
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

It was on the level 3 and level 4 maths thread recently I posted about the national strategies or something..I did find that really helpful to highlight weak spots. :)
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

P.S if he has been given a year 4 paper he must be doing well for them to think he is capable , I mean ?

I still have my box of wine on the go......I'll pour you a glass later . :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now