Information on Bucks grammar schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pkpk

Information on Bucks grammar schools

Post by pkpk »

We are relocating from Edinburgh to London due to change in job circumstances.Our elder one is just completing her primary 5. We would like to target Grammar School for her secondary education meaning she needs to sit in the entrance exams this year (in October).

We are thinking of relocating to Bucks for reasons:

1) There are good grammar schools

2) Good areas to live in

3) VR test only means less pressure for our daughter

We know we bit behind the curve but from last week we have started preparing her. She is taking IPS tests and seems to be struggling with the usual hard bit of VR. For Next stage we are targeting Tutors and then NFR/GL. We have scanned few threads on these topics which have been very helpful:

DIY:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =12&t=4782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Moving from Scotland to Bucks:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=25567" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The schools we would like to target are Dr Challoners High, Beaconsfield and Wycombe High. This means we would be hunting for a 3 bed place around areas Chalfont, Gerrard Cross or possibly Holmer Green. The challenges are rents in these areas are high and I need to travel to central London (Liverpool Street).

Would be grateful if fellow members can help us with following info:

1) Recommendations for good primaries or feeders for these grammar schools?

2) Also could someone please shed light on Upper schools, what are these and how are these different from the above Grammar schools?

3) Our accommodation search will be driven by the fact that how close it is to primary school. It has to be walking distance. So any guidance on the residential areas would be a big help.

4) Are admissions in above schools driven from the catchment area or one can fill in their preferences and then relocate based on the exam results

5) Out these locations which would offer an easier commute to central London?
faitaccompli

Re: Information on Bucks grammar schools

Post by faitaccompli »

I am not an expert on the Bucks schools, but when I researched late last year, Dr Challoners insisted that you had been resident in the area for a minimum of 18 months and looking at the allocation profiles this year, you had to live within 5 or so miles. It may be a tricky one for you to get into taking that into consideration.

Getting into London by train is easy from Bucks.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Upper Schools are schools for children who do not qualify for GS; some are better than others. Chalfonts Community college is Ofsted rated 'outstanding' but it is very large (300 in a year group).

Lots of good Primaries around the Chalfonts; hence why its expensive to live there. The three GS you name are quite different. PM me for more details.

I think it may only be the boys school (DCGS) that requires residence 18 months before the test. Look at the Bucks section of the information to links to websites.
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

Ah - of course - I was only looking at boys schools!
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Hi pkpk and welcome.

As regards commuting, south Bucks to Liverpool Street is perfectly viable, I do it every day. But you can reduce costs considerably if you catch the train which travels along the Metropolitan line as then you pay tube prices rather than British Rail ones, so to that extent catching it from Little Chalfont or Amersham on the Hill is cheaper than from Gerrards Cross or Beaconsfield, say.

Plenty of good primaries around within walking distance of those 2 stations, and either would give your DD access to Dr Challoner’s High should she qualify. My two went to Elangeni (in Amersham), but I would probably recommend Little Chalfont more.

Otherwise she would most likely attend Amersham School, which was struggling 7 or 8 years ago but has come up a lot under the current head. DD goes there and is very happy, though they do have a slightly odd system of taking some GCSEs in Y10 and others in Y11 – DD (Y9) is consequently doing science modules this term before her 14th birthday.

There’s a fair amount of rental properties around, if you want more specific suggestions in Amersham, please feel free to PM me.
fast trak

Post by fast trak »

hi pkpk

looks like ive got company. :)

welcome to this forum. its a gr8 place. within a span of one month ive picked up loads of info from here.

good luck to your dc.

cheers
pkpk

Post by pkpk »

Hi fast track,
Thanks for welcoming!oh yes we r sailing in the same boat!!!
A bit panicked right now as apart from preparing for grammar school test the pressure is on which primary school to go for.Have you made any decision about it yet?and how is your preparation going??????
fast trak

Post by fast trak »

pkpk wrote:Hi fast track,
Thanks for welcoming!oh yes we r sailing in the same boat!!!
A bit panicked right now as apart from preparing for grammar school test the pressure is on which primary school to go for.Have you made any decision about it yet?and how is your preparation going??????
hiya
dont ask abt prepns. too much anxiety and nervousness atm. half of the time is spent in trying to understand the basic concept of the exam and the entire process. too much to take in. not looking for primary school for her coz we plan to finish her primary here in scotland before we move. of course i need primary for my younger one who has just turned 3 atm. what materials are u using for the prepn? u cud pm me as well.
cheers :)